Air conditioning problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air conditioning problems.

recently got my air conditioning fixed and filled with r12. Car will blow somewhat cold air for a bit, then it seems to turn off. I live in Arizona where it is 115 degree days. Anyone have a clue? Sensor?
    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
    (Daily Driver)
    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
    KW V2 Coilovers
    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Does this happen when the car is being driven at speeds above 45mph, or only at slow speed or in stop and go driving? If the latter, check to see if the aux fan is working. The condenser might be getting to hot and the system shutting off from high head pressure. A bad or plugged expansion valve is also a possibility.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Stop and go traffic. Interesting I will give that a check.
      (Daily Driver)
      Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

the fan is spinning. So you are thinking a bad expansion valve? It is so discouraging after I just got it fixed.

Also I just went out to the garage and tried running the A/C with it idling, and it couldn't cool the air. It is still around 100 F at 8:50 out side.
        (Daily Driver)
        Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

I know that answers like "it just works like that' are not helpful, but I just did an R12 recharge myself. Blows nice and cold driving on the highway, but in stop and go traffic it stinks. I've read that e30s just tend not to cool well unless you are cruising.

Comment

In stop and go traffic the aux fan must work properly to have decent A/C. And if you have a weak fan clutch, that will also affect operation. But yes, the E30 A/C system is a little anemic for the southern half of the US.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

brand new fan clutch.
              (Daily Driver)
              Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
              VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

I had a similar issue when I still had my e30. I was running r134 it would cool then eventually stop until I parked for a while then it would cool again. I bought an A/C gauge to see how the high and low side was after it ran for a while.

Found high side pressure went too high and turned off system low side didn't move. Thought it was expansion valve but it wasn't.

Ended up removing the hoses to compressor and found it plugged. Cleared the gunk out of the line and a/c ran cold and in 90 degree Cali weather it would go down to 65 sitting in my driveway.

Have the shop check the high low sides when the system seems to stop working and they should be able to see if there's a restriction causing the system to shutoff.

Could also be over charged better to be under charged then over.
                2013 C250
                2012 ALPINA B7
                2006 X5 e53
                2001 740i e38
                1998 e320 s210
                2016 Kawi Vaquero

Comment

Originally posted by SFGadgetGuy View Post
                  I had a similar issue when I still had my e30. I was running r134 it would cool then eventually stop until I parked for a while then it would cool again. I bought an A/C gauge to see how the high and low side was after it ran for a while.

Found high side pressure went too high and turned off system low side didn't move. Thought it was expansion valve but it wasn't.

Ended up removing the hoses to compressor and found it plugged. Cleared the gunk out of the line and a/c ran cold and in 90 degree Cali weather it would go down to 65 sitting in my driveway.

Have the shop check the high low sides when the system seems to stop working and they should be able to see if there's a restriction causing the system to shutoff.

Could also be over charged better to be under charged then over.
                  i'm curious, does weather temperature matter during ac recharging service? like it is better to perform this service during a hot day than a cold day?

Comment

Hi,
                    Take it back to the garage something is wrong may be low on gas, the small pipe under the hood should be warm and the big pipe cold with no bubbles in the r/d sight glass when operating correctly.

The radiator and a/c condensor should be squirted with the hose once in a while so stop dust build up in the cooling fins (low pressure hose to stop bending the fins) otherwise the hot gas can not condense properly and efficiency drops..
                    Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                      i'm curious, does weather temperature matter during ac recharging service? like it is better to perform this service during a hot day than a cold day?
                      It definitely does which is why some gauges will show you pressure targets at different temps. The way to get around this is to charge by weight with a freshly flushed system so there is no residual to throw out the quantites of oil and refrigerant you are adding.
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by NZM3 View Post

The radiator and a/c condensor should be squirted with the hose once in a while so stop dust build up in the cooling fins (low pressure hose to stop bending the fins) otherwise the hot gas can not condense properly and efficiency drops..
                        Dave.
                        the a/c condensor in the front? It is kinda dirty, I will give that a try.
                        (Daily Driver)
                        Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                          The charge sheet in my DIY (in sig) has temps and humidity accounted for when charging.

And OP it sounds like you have some component failing or a low charge. You need to read your pressures. They will give you a clue where to start looking.

Comment

Hose the condenser with cool water and see if your vents start blowing cold.

Comment

I moved the AC control lead from the aux fan low speed relay to the high speed relay so that the aux fan runs on high when you turn on the AC. It helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X