Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you guys think about digital gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do you guys think about digital gauges?

i'm trying to get a consensus on how everyone feels on digital gauges for the gauge cluster. typically i like the original gauges in a car. i like the look of all original equipment.
    however, the unreliability of the e30 gauges is getting old. i'm thinking about replacing the original gauges with digital gauges and aftermarket sending units to boost reliability and function (actual water temp readout, accurate fuel level, accurate speedo)
    how do you guys thing this will affect things when i try to sell the car? how would you feel about buying a car with aftermarket gauges knowing they are an upgrade and not just for looks

thanks

I have an electronic dash in my Spec E30, but the goals are different. In a race car I want shift lights, GPS track mapping & lap times, and programmable warning lights. It works great on the track and isn't too bad on the street. But it certainly doesn't look like it belongs. The only gauge I miss on a street car is oil pressure.

There is no reason for the gauges to be unreliable. There may be problems that need fixing, but when everything is right the gauges will work as well as they did when the car was new. BMW speedometers are, by design, optimistic. They are in spec if they read high by 2.4mph + 10% of actual speed. Most do better than the max error spec, but all read high. As I recall there is a German law that mandates an optimistic speedometer.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

E30 clusters, unless new, have a high possibility of malfunctioning in one way or another. My goal is to eliminate the potential of failure and increase functionality. My e46 let's me access so much info from the obc.
      I want an accurate speedo. I want a never failing ODO. I want accurate fuel level. I want accurate, never failing, water temp readout.
      The only realistic way of gaining all of these things is to get aftermarket gauges.
      Im just seeing how the general public feels about this in terms of resale. I don't want someone looking to buy my car in a couple years but is turned away by an aftermarket cluster.
      I'm would try to make it as good looking as possible by trying to reuse the original bezel.

Comment

Originally posted by peytonracer4
        E30 clusters, unless new, have a high possibility of malfunctioning in one way or another.
        Reflowing all of the solder joints in a cluster, making sure that it has a good ground, replacing the SI board with a new one, replacing all of the bulbs, and replacing the OD gears pretty much eliminates any reliability issues. Once done the cluster should work for another 15-20 years. Are you going to keep the car that long (apparently not from what you ask)?

I had high end (SPA) digital gauges on my E36 M3 and over the course of four years I had to replace both gauges. When the car was totaled (hit while parked) one of the gauges no longer was illuminated and needed to be replaced, again. The RacePack IQ3 I have in the Spec E30 has had to be repaired for missing pixels once and it looks like it may have to go back again. I know folks with AIM dashes that have had similar experiences. Yep the digital stuff is more reliable, not! In addition to my IQ3 dash, as backup, I have standalone analog temperature and oil pressure gauges. Just in case...

If you want accurate speed, mount a GPS nav device. If you really want accurate engine temperature, add an aftermarket gauge. Without serious (expensive) work to the fuel level sensors you aren't going to get truly accurate fuel level data.

What you are proposing may be attractive to some buyers, but it will turn others off. And there is no assurance that it will be any more reliable.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Reflowing all of the solder joints in a cluster, making sure that it has a good ground, replacing the SI board with a new one, replacing all of the bulbs, and replacing the OD gears pretty much eliminates any reliability issues. Once done the cluster should work for another 15-20 years.

^This. Digital gauges would look so out of place unless they are for special purposes.
          Last edited by dnguyen1963; 07-18-2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Don't forget to verify clean grounds for the cluster. There are two 10mm nuts above the brake pedal which old several ring lugs that are grounds for the cluster. These must be cleaned and grounding stud cleaned to ensure long lasting reliability and accuracy.

In addition, the engine to chassis ground cable must be oxidation free and all connections cleaned.
            Owner - Bavarian Restoration
            BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
            www.BavRest.com
            My Feedback Thread
            Our Facebook!
            Follow our Instagram!

Comment

just put this in your car

;)
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

me likey
                Red-ish 89 325ix with dent in the door, bad paint, missing center caps, broken defrost, broken ac, p/s pump may be going, brake pad sensors missing. On the plus side i just had the trannie and tc fixed for 2 grand!!

Comment

Jesus. Who's revving to 8. 8) titties.

Anyways. I always liked The digital gauge In an Si.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                  DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Working...
                  X