200k M42 Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200k M42 Advice

I always hear about the solid BMW sixes making it up anywhere from 150k to 500k with proper maintainence, but nothing of the M42 really. How is the longevity, when driven and maintained well?

I ask because I currently have a deposit on a 200k 1991 318is that seems to be in great shape. The guy says it burns no oil. How likely is it to run well for a long time?

I guess what I'm really asking is this: Is the E30 M42 a time bomb?

EDIT: Yes, I'm getting out of the A4 bidness and back into E30s...thank god.
    - 2000 Audi S4 Stg 2 (sold)
    - house (bought)
    - 1997 Civic Hatch (shaky but driveable)
    - 2010 Sportster 1200 Forty Eight Ed. (vroom)
    - 1991 318is S50B30 (TBA)

As long as it hasn't been overheated. It'll probably need hoses, seals, and a chain tensioner, but it should be ok as long as it hasn't been terribly abused. You may look into doing a timing chain job; I've heard of them breaking occasionally.
    Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

my buddy takes poor care of his M42 (only changes the oil) and it has 225k+. he also beats the living $%$@ out of it..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

theyre pretty solid little motors, i could see it lasting you a good while if it was properly maintained.

Comment

mine has held up just fine, but it's only got 130k miles

Comment

The motors are damn reliable and you wont hear the 200k valves from a mile away like you would on an m20.
            Back to my roots

Comment

Originally posted by FifeDog236
              The motors are damn reliable and you wont hear the 200k valves from a mile away like you would on an m20.
              nor will you have to adjust them!

Comment

My 1990 325i's 140k valves were nasty, so self-adjusting valves with hydraulic lifters I'd take anyday.
                I had a 1994 318is a few years ago with 146k on it, and the engine was solid (even after many trips up to 7200rpms).

Here's hoping this car is nice...it's on Autotrader in Philly, and I'm driving down Sunday to check it out/definately buy it. It's an alpinewiess 5spd with black leather and baskets...I assume sport. The seller says it's in fantastic shape, no dash cracks, no rust, great carpet and leather, sunroof, blah blah blah--I know, no good without pics.

I'll get them up as soon as I drive it home.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Oh yah: is $1700 decent for the aforementioned car?
                - house (bought)

Comment

My m42 has 238k on the clock, runs like a champ, And I'm putting close to 1k a week on it. Only issue and it is slight I will take care of it after the first of the year the front main seal bearing is starting to go it leaves me a small dime of oil on the ground but not every morning, still trying to figure out the riddle, why it doesn't happen everyday.
                  E30 325ix 62k

Comment

oil burning and leaking is my biggest worry, really. I used to get a black puff when shifting hard the the 143k E36 M42 i had, but nothing serious at all.
                    - house (bought)

Comment

my M42 has 280,000+km's and with 10W30 it doesn't burn oil. and i drive it pretty hard...

Comment

SWEET. more and more confidence. thank you.
                        - house (bought)

Comment

201k and running very nicely. I bought it with 199,476k, so i can imagine how you feel. These cars are very very solid! Don't hesitate, oh and by a chip ASAP once chu get it. More fun thereafter!
                          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Definately get a chip, more power and youll get better mpg. Well you will if you drive like you did prior to the chip, which isnt likelky.
                            Back to my roots

Comment

What's the best chip to go with in your opinion, and more importantly where do I get one? I searched google for distributors and/or carriers of chips and came up with nothing substantial.
                              - house (bought)

Comment

Working...
                              X