ECU question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECU question

I have a ecu ending in 153 but the connector only has 35 pins vs 55 pins...or 2 rows instead of 3. Does this mean that I have a motronic 1.0? This confuses me because I thought those ecu's ending in 153 were supposed to be motronic 1.1. Any information that could help me understand my situation would be helpful.

What year/model is your e30? The 153 ECU is only meant for the M20B25 cars (325i, 325is, 325ix)
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

year/model

It is an 87 325is

Comment

i need to to count it cuz my ecu used to be a 153 and i got the 173 so i can use my chip with it

Comment

A 153 DME, which would have be the one that came in an 87 325is, has 55 pins in three rows. A DME with only two rows of 35 pins has to be an 027 as used with the ETA engine. An 87 car could have had either engine. Plugging the last 7 of the VIN into realoem.com will tell if the car was built as a 325is (M20B25 engine) or as a 325 (M20B27 engine). But in the 25 years since production someone could have swapped an M20B27 engine (and DME) into a car built as a 325is.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Well I looked it up on RealOEM and it states that I have a 325i 11/1986 production date with a M20 engine...I believe that this means it should have a m20b25. Still...my ecu has 35 pins and the sticker says 153....is it possible that someone could have done a swap and swapped the stickers?

Comment

Take a picture of the engine bay, connector and ECU for us please.
              Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

There is simply no way for a 153 DME not to have 55 pins in three rows. Something strange has to have occurred in the past. If the DME has two rows of 35 pins the engine management system (and probably the engine) isn't that of an M20B25 engine. An 11/87 car could be a SuperETA which would have a different DME.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Super etas have 154 dmes, same version of motronic as m20b25s (1.1), same 55 pin connector and same harness.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                  X