m20b25 power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20b25 power

wut does the stock m20b25 put down to the wheels stock? around 135whp? i'm gonna be sending out an extra set of cam to get regrounded to 272 by IE, full length header, highflow cat and custom single pipe 2 1/4 exhaust, a chip, m30afm w/ 19lbs injectors. how much hp will i be looking at to the wheels or crank? hopefully 150whp but i highly doubt that, cost an arm and a leg to get power out of the m20 without goin FI, but i love bmw motors n/a.
    88 325is (a work in progress)

new/old black interior
    bilstien + eibachs
    IE billet aluminum rear strut mount with urethane bushings
    custom exhaust with flowmaster
    cone filter with heat shield
    z3 shifter
    eclipse reciever with mb quarts components
    e28 mtech 1 spoiler

87 535is
    custom exhaust with cheapo muffler (PO)
    bilstien w. stock springs
    bavauto 8mm plug wires

if you're spending that kind of cabbage it would behoove you to dyno baseline, and dyno as you add your new toys. I wouldn't trust any manufacturer number for any one mod and then try to claim a HP number. Your expectations are realistic, but these are old cars and I encourage you to make sure the money is worth the increase by using a dyno to find the digits you seek.

Comment

why are you sending a set of cams to be grounded?

the m20 only has 1.

Comment

he said sending out "extra set of cam"

LoL it stupidly makes sense, maybe meaning his extra cam

I heard somewhere on this forum a healthy m20 will put around 140-150 to the wheels, but I am not 100% sure..

bav///m how much are you payin IE to regrind? im thinking about doing that since I am bulding an n/a m20.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
        PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

I wouldn't think that a cam regrind or a more agressive cam would give you that much extra HP. Usually people get more agressive cams so they can achieve more torque at lower RPM. From what I understand that's what most cams are good for.. changing your torque curve.

Comment

u guys shoulda just hopped on that catcams gb...

i really just want a super aggressive cam so that my car struggles to hold a steady idle. thats hawt!
            Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

a 272 regrind isn't exactly an agressive cam..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                a 272 regrind isn't exactly an agressive cam..
                Yeah a 272 is pretty much as mild as you can go without going stock.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
                  I wouldn't think that a cam regrind or a more agressive cam would give you that much extra HP. Usually people get more agressive cams so they can achieve more torque at lower RPM. From what I understand that's what most cams are good for.. changing your torque curve.
                  I thought the point in most cases was to bring the torque up higher in the rev range to produce more power. The eta cam (234 degree?) does the whole low rpm torque thing, which hurts the power

Comment

a cam with more duration and lift (you are only getting duration with a regrind) will flow more air into your engine, which = more power and torque. it also moves the power band further up into the RPM range because of the increased airflow - at lower RPMs, the velocity will be lower than at higher RPMs. you aren't going to lose much if any low end torque though on a decent cam, and you will gain both power and torque higher up.

if you really want more power, go with a dual pattern and forget about regrinds. the difference between the lobes of my schrick 284/272 and my racetep 284 (supposedly "new" grind, but obviously a regrind) was laughable. I think catcams offers a dual pattern as well for a decent price - maybe it's not too late to get into that group buy.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                      a cam with more duration and lift (you are only getting duration with a regrind) will flow more air into your engine, which = more power and torque. it also moves the power band further up into the RPM range because of the increased airflow - at lower RPMs, the velocity will be lower than at higher RPMs. you aren't going to lose much if any low end torque though on a decent cam, and you will gain both power and torque higher up.

if you really want more power, go with a dual pattern and forget about regrinds. the difference between the lobes of my schrick 284/272 and my racetep 284 (supposedly "new" grind, but obviously a regrind) was laughable. I think catcams offers a dual pattern as well for a decent price - maybe it's not too late to get into that group buy.
                      Lift is the difference between the highest point on the lobe and the base circle. A proper regrind, with properly adjusted eccentrics should produce the same lift as a new cam. I'm sure there are limitations for how much material can be removed before the eccentrics/rockers cannot compensate.

What constitutes a dual pattern, differing intake and exhaust durations? What kind of improvements do these make?

Comment

-OK... so what does a healthy m20b25 put to the wheels?
                        1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Don't forget the oversized eccentrics you'll have to buy (around $100). I'd invest in a fresh casting and not go with a regrind. I've been there and it just isn't worth the money. I have a used 274 if you want to buy one that's been reground cheap to test, but that's a lot of work to install only to have it suck.
                          Driving is the only way to go faster....

Comment

Originally posted by pdx 528e
                            Lift is the difference between the highest point on the lobe and the base circle. A proper regrind, with properly adjusted eccentrics should produce the same lift as a new cam. I'm sure there are limitations for how much material can be removed before the eccentrics/rockers cannot compensate.

What constitutes a dual pattern, differing intake and exhaust durations? What kind of improvements do these make?
                            btw, when they regrind, they actually add material to the stock camshaft.

Unlimited Slip Diff's FTW!
                            1972 240z Drift,Scca BSP, Scca ITS Car.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM
                              -OK... so what does a healthy m20b25 put to the wheels?
                              150rwhp. that's real strong

several have seen that with a chip though

Comment

Working...
                              X