Early to late model cluster swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early to late model cluster swap?

So as the title says I'm looking to put in a late model(front coding plug) cluster in my '85 eta. Ill be swapping in an m52b28 soon and feel that the 5k tach will be useless. Has anyone put a late model cluster in their early e30? I am hoping to keep my 13 button obc functional. I have tried before where most of the obc function stopped working with a late model cluster. If possible, will I need to do any re-wiring? Tried to look into it and didn't find any information regarding this. Any insight would be much appreciated. Cheers!
    sigpic
    325e Schwartz coupe(02/85) OBDII M52B28+ZF320 swapped

I put a late model cluster into a early model 325e 1986. The late model had the coding plug and my obc still works on every function

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
      I put a late model cluster into a early model 325e 1986. The late model had the coding plug and my obc still works on every function
      Really? My '85 has the coding plug in the rear. When I swapped in a cluster from a car with a coding plug in the front it would no longer read range, avg speed or avg mpgs.
      sigpic

Comment

Also, my RPMs would be off by a significant amount.
        sigpic

Comment

You swapped the gas gauge, right?

...or tank, I guess...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            You swapped the gas gauge, right?

...or tank, I guess...

t
            No I didn't swap either. Would that cause the issue?
            sigpic

Comment

No, it'll just make your gauge go to empty when you've still got half left.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Did you swap in a refurbished cluster or cluster with a refurbished SI board? If not, your OBC probably does not work because your SI board is dead.

You can swap clusters from early to late but you will need to swap over the speedometer and fuel gauge and all will be well.
                Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                www.BavRest.com
                My Feedback Thread
                Our Facebook!
                Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
                  Did you swap in a refurbished cluster or cluster with a refurbished SI board? If not, your OBC probably does not work because your SI board is dead.

You can swap clusters from early to late but you will need to swap over the speedometer and fuel gauge and all will be well.
                  OBC worked beforehand. I'll give that a try though and see if it works. Thanks for the info. I'll get back and let you know how it fared.
                  sigpic

Comment

No, it'll just make your gauge go to empty when you've still got half left.

t
                    I'm experiencing this issue now...bought an 86 325e with an 87 325is engine already swapped into it. The person who did the swap didn't change from the 5K redline to a 7k redline cluster, so my first time driving it threw me off because I was doing 70mph and the tach was pegged out...I thought this can't be right. Fast forward, I've bought the proper 7k redline cluster but the GF and I didn't know about the gas gauge differences...until she called me at work crying that the car had half a tank of gas, yet the yellow light was on and it still wouldn't start. Knowing now that half is empty, how do I fix this properly so the needle has a full sweep?

Local friend said to swap the white chip from the 5k cluster into the 7k cluster, turned the ignition on and the gauge still reads half a tank even though it's still empty, so I put the chips back into their original clusters. Next I was told to try swapping the cluster fuel gauges themselves...the most I've ever opened a cluster before is to add chrome trim rings so I want to make sure this is the proper fix before I open clusters for nothing.

Comment

You need an early model gas gauge.

t

Comment

I still have an early cluster, I'll try swapping the gauge itself over.

Comment

Yup, I bet your 7k cluster was from a later car.

t

Comment

4 year bump :)
                            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Yup, I bet your 7k cluster was from a later car.

t
                              Yup, I'd mentioned that above...now to take it apart without trying to break anything :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X