Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there reasons to buy a swapped S52 vs an S54?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can rebuild an m20 head you surely have competent wrenching skills and area to work. I'm sure you can handle s54 maintenance. A few special tools might be needed but nothing crazy. Like Nando said, it's a common engine with known, solvable issues and extended support for all the tricky stuff.

As someone who daily's and self maintains (with family help) an even trickier euro S50 and who, before the swap was a very lousy wrench and e30 swap virgin, I see no reason why you couldn't handle an S54. I certainly have never for a second regretted my choice. And I know it isn't the same as an S54 but I feel it's similar enough such that I can talk from experience about the concerns you originally brought up. This is all especially true if you do your homework and address any specific S54 issues (rod bearings, which I have yet to do, and Vanos which I did myself). I think you'd be kicking yourself every time you saw an S54/E30 if you decided not to go that direction. It's really not that scary or unworkable.

Broadly speaking, I think the biggest issues go beyond S52/S54 choice and really lie in the fact that you're throwing a bunch of power and mismatched oem (preferred) and aftermarket parts into an old car and then beating the snot out of it. It's a recipe for constant issues but that's half the fun right?

So with that in mind it really comes down to preparation and execution. The success of the swap really depends on those 2 things regardless of which engine you go with. Also, go with the stock ecu. Don't throw away millions in R&D for some aftermarket potential headache.
    Last edited by Luke_M; 10-22-2015, 05:31 PM.
    Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
      Lastly, being the owner of a full race blueprinted S52 E30 track car, I must warn you that you will need to do ALOT to the car to make it stable enough to really push it on the track. I dynoed close to 300 to the wheels in my car. I'm also the first to admit that the power is the biggest thing that's holding me back from really pushing my car. These are momentum cars, they dont need that much power to be fast. After a certain point all your doing is making more noise and breaking shit quicker.
      This is gold right here. Ever heard the saying "it's better (more fun) to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slowly"?

Think about that the next time you do a lapping day and still pass every single 400hp corvette out there with your 200k mile m20 putting 95hp to the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Cephas View Post
        This is gold right here. Ever heard the saying "it's better (more fun) to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slowly"?

Think about that the next time you do a lapping day and still pass every single 400hp corvette out there with your 200k mile m20 putting 95hp to the wheels.
        If I end up with a very clean S54 E30 I might track it once, but it won't be a track car. I have my dedicated track car for that. But the 300K+ bottom end does quite a bit better than 95hp, and is still stock.

I do enjoy keeping up and passing faster cars. It's incredibly enjoyable, and yet there is no question that I am driving at my own skill limit, and that there is more to get out of the car. It helps to have an E30 spec class race on my local tracks to let me know exactly how much faster I could be.

Of course, being "slow" car is only fun up until I check my mirrors and find a 2002 on my ass :ohsnap:
        -------------------------------------------------
        1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
        2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

huh? that's news to me
          I TOLD you I was making shit up! So an S54 transplant with the factory ECU,
          what's involved?

Watching the SpecE46 guys run around with a stock key duct- taped to a pickup
          ring has obviously fried my brainz, here...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            I TOLD you I was making shit up! So an S54 transplant with the factory ECU,
            what's involved?
            t
            Flashed DME
            Fuel pump, 5.0 bar fuel pressure regulator
            Modified E46 M3 oil pan/front subframe or E34 525i M50 oil pan
            Braking solution to clear the large intake plenum (2002 booster, manual brakes, or remote booster)
            Maybe 7 wires from the C101

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

you need to install the DBW pedal/bracket as well. :p
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
              X