Wiper stop position is arms up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiper stop position is arms up

I replaced the windshield wiper motor and now in the stop position my wipers are up instead of down. How do I fix this?

Originally posted by jeffw View Post
    I replaced the windshield wiper motor and now in the stop position my wipers are up instead of down. How do I fix this?
    Remove arms and reattach in down position
    sigpic

Comment

Wouldn't they try to go down onto the hood if I did that?

Comment

sounds like you put the motor in backwards

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

How could I have put the motor in backward.

Comment

Remove the arms, turn the wiper motor on and off so it stops in the parked position, then put the arms back. You can point the, up to check if you are concerned which way they will go.

It's also possible you put the crank arm in the wrong position.
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

^ exactly. Get in there and take a look

Comment

I would bet you reinstalled the crank arm in the wrong position.
                Try googling a pic of the proper position.
                Originally posted by codyep3
                I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                2010 F650gs twin
                2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Iirc...if looking straight down through the cowl with your X-ray vision the arm should point to 4 o'clock with the windshield being 12
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Pop the arm off the wiper motor, turn it on then off and let it park. Then position the wiper arms on the windshield in the correct spot and put the arm back on.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffw View Post
                      Wouldn't they try to go down onto the hood if I did that?
                      no , they would work correctly
                      sigpic

Comment

no , they would work correctly
                        Sorry, but you might be wrong. If the crank arm is not in the correct position the wiper arms will travel to a point lower than the park position during a full sweep.

Safest thing to do is to remove the arms or at least pivot them up off the windshield while trying to get this sorted. My father-in-law ruined a new paint job when he didn't do this. The 1st time he turned on the wipers they travelled downward and across the hood.

Comment

i dont see how moving the arm is going to fix the issue without causing other issues. if the arm was in the wrong position it would be overshooting the end of the windscreen. if it operates within the correct limits but just parks in the wrong position (is that the symptoms)? then it may not be a position problem. im assuming if you took the blade off you marked the proper position somehow?

sounds like it may also be an electrical issue perhaps the relay. ive had strange issues with wipers, such as them going from intermittent to max speed randomly, not being able to turn them off that cleared when pulling the wiper realy and reinstalling. i did buy a new one but its been ok since i pulled relay a couple times and pushed in again so havent needed it. thats about the only electrical things i know about wipers lol
                          Last edited by digger; 12-09-2015, 01:31 PM.
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I disconnected the wiper transmission and moved the blades down into the right position and now they are fine.

Comment

Well as fate would have it my wiper linkage came apart tonight on the drive home in a heavy rainstorm. The rod which connects the motor to the set of two wipers in my car is weak at its connection to the 3" piece just under the drivers side plastic cowl and has a tendency to come undone. Naturally it did tonight. I didn't notice it right away and I'm guessing the rod got pinched somewhere in that compartment and did some shit because after I got it zip tied back together, my wipers did exactly like the OP's.

I googled the problem and found this thread. Particularly posts 15 and 21

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X