Check Light Blinking but No Panel Lights On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Light Blinking but No Panel Lights On

Yesterday, my 1990 325is Check light started blinking even after I got my car started. This hadn't happened before then. However, there are no lights up on the panel that stay red. They all light up except for the Oil Level light. But, I've pulled the panel and there isn't even a spot for the light there.

A couple of questions. Is this a replacement panel from another car that didn't have oil level? Are any cars' oil level lights functional (I don't think the one in the '88 325ic I had did either). Could it be that the check light is referring to a lower oil level (I checked the oil and it was low) or do you think it may be an issue with the brake switch signal not being sent when I start the car? I always have my foot on the brake when starting the car.

So nobody has ever experienced this?

Comment

Does it stay on after you step on the brake? If it turns off, this is normal behavior.
      '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
      '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
      '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

No, it stays on after I start the car with my foot on the brake. It used to go off (or never really come on flashing) prior to this. Now it flashes after I start the car like there's something wrong but nothing is illuminated in the panel in the roof (all lights work except oil level and there isn't a spot for a bulb in the back for it).

Comment

The US spec E30 M3 doesn't have an oil level sensor and so the check panel doesn't have it either. You may have a faulty brake switch or check control relay. What you can do is check the bulbs to not only make sure they are good but also free of corrosion and make good contact. I have heard of people having similar issues with copper based bulbs and solving the problem going back to silver based bulbs.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Huh. 1990is should have the oil level sensor and check light for it. Mine did, and the
              PO comprehensively proved it worked.

Take a look on the top of your oil pan and see if you have the sensor. Bet you do...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
              X