Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differential lash, or parking brake problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential lash, or parking brake problem?

When I engage my parking brake on a hill, the car will roll a bit before the brakes lock the wheels.

The pads and rotors were just replaced, and there is no noise coming from the axles. (nothing while turning, accelerating, etc.)

If I pull on the parking brake while driving, there is instant feedback and I can slowly bring the car to a stop.

I'm thinking that there is just quite a bit of lash in the differential, which allows the wheels to turn a bit.

What can I do about this? Should I just replace the diff, or am I looking at something else to help?

Parking brakes are not effected by the diff. If you still roll you haven't pulled the handle hard enough or the shoes and/or cables need adjusting.

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
      Parking brakes are not effected by the diff. If you still roll you haven't pulled the handle hard enough or the shoes and/or cables need adjusting.
      If the car is off the ground and parking brake is on, then the wheels can turn in either direction by a few inches. The parking brake shoes are definitely engaged, or the wheels would be able to turn more.

Could my parking brake mechanism (the actuator, or some other hardware) not be working properly?

Comment

You could be missing some parking brake bits-
        they hide inside the rear rotors, and have the cutest little shoes...

that said, there's a bit of slop in all of them. That, in fact, might be how they self-
        adjust, I forget.

Pull off your rear rotors and be amazed by the tiny cuteness...

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I personally replaced the rotors, pads, and even the parking brake pads.

I had the car in today for some A/C work and asked them about the lash.
          They found that one side parking brake is not well adjusted and when I engage the brakes one side is locked and the other isn't. Because of this, there is a bit of play in the wheels. If both sides were locked up from the brake then they wouldn't move.

Comment

I always leave all my manual cars in gear when parked, this helps to assist the parking brake.
            "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
            -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Comment

The parking brake has shoes not pads and engaging it renders your diff irrelevant. The wheels should not move if it's working as it should.

What you're feeling is driveline slack being taken up because your ebrake is not doing its job
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
              X