Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel gauge always reads empty, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel gauge always reads empty, please help!

Hey guys before you say it, I did search and everyone's gauge seems to always read full. But mine reads empty, all the time!

My fuel gauge worked fantastically, then one day my car was about empty so I went to fill up at the pump. When I started my car up, the gauge stayed at empty, I figured it would slowly creep to full but instead as I was driving down the road the gauge started to jump around. I thought it was the ground on the back of the cluster so I tightened the nut and now it stays at empty.

I have replaced the passenger side level sender with a slightly used one, but no change. I'm wondering if the driver side sender is out? Or it could be something in the cluster?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your fuel floater might be stuck. Remove the fuel sender. There should be a few small holes in the aluminum housing that holds the floater. Spray carb cleaner in there then shake it up and down. The floater should move without any restriction. If not then repeat the cleaning cycle a few more times.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
      Your fuel floater might be stuck. Remove the fuel sender. There should be a few small holes in the aluminum housing that holds the floater. Spray carb cleaner in there then shake it up and down. The floater should move without any restriction. If not then repeat the cleaning cycle a few more times.

When I replaced the passenger side sender about a month ago it moved freely, could the driver side floater be stuck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Try replacing fuse 10, 12 and 21 first. If one popped, no movement on fuel gauge.
        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

maybe you didn't plug it in well when you replaced it and it popped out.
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
          X