Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stomp Test wont work, weird intake boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stomp Test wont work, weird intake boot?

just bought this car, trying to figure out if this is messing with the TPS or something thats effecting the stomp test from being performed. The intake boot looks crammed in there.1991 325i coupe
    Last edited by TomIV; 02-28-2017, 07:50 PM.

Can't enlighten you about your intake boot, although that's probably not a factor. But if your stomp test is not working (and your car actually has that function), you can roll the window down, key it up and try actuating the throttle by hand in the engine bay.

If that doesn't work you might have a bad TPS.

Comment

It looks like the power steering reservoir has been bent away from the strut tower and into the boot. Bend that away again and that should hopefully fix the crush.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Loose the boot clamps and readjusted it. When I bought my e30, the previous tight one clamp before aligning it with the ICV & hose causing the boot to twist.
        Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Looks like an older intake on the engine.
          My 10/88 production car has the same style intake plumbing as the one in your picture.
          My 2/90 production car has a cleaner idle valve routing.
          Make sure that the engine is getting air...air filter totally clogged??
          Either way, I would suspect that the boot is no longer sturdy enough for use.
          Cannot have that collapsing, under throttle.

m

Comment

I also question how that 'WOT vacuum assister' thingus is plumbed- the hose going to it looks pretty sketchy. And unfamiliar. I ditched mine, so I don't remember how it's supposed to go...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Quick comparison:
              Yours

Another example

It appears to me that:
              1. Your intake is too far back in the engine bay. This is tweaking the boot, causing its collapse. This also appears to be the cause of the weird ICV angle and the location of the vacuum hoses coming from the brake booster.
              2. Your ICV might not be plugged in? The lighting isn't very good, but I don't see the plug, nor the wire, nor the rubber clasp that usually holds the ICV in place.
              3. It appears someone capped off the pre-heater for the throttle body. This could cause some cold-running issues.

That should be a good start, please report back.
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Your TPS looks like it still has clearance and is held on with two bolts. If your stomp test is not initiating, there is a good change the TPS is not adjusted properly. See bentley manual for proper adjustment of the TPS. WHen adjusted correctly you will find your stomp test working again and your car will probably idle better too.
                Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                www.BavRest.com
                My Feedback Thread
                Our Facebook!
                Follow our Instagram!

Comment

That setup isn't correct, you need to get a new intake boot.

The intake boot angled outlet that connects to the angled inlet of vacuum line should not have an additional hose on it, the intake boot connects directly to that angled pipe. The additional 2" (ish) of rubber hose is pushing the intake boot backwards and distorting it.

Look at the marked up pic provided by ELVA164 and you'll see what I mean.

The ICV should have a mounting bracket underneath it and a rubber sleeve that mounts on the bracket, I dont see either of these in you pics.

Comment

Good eye! Didn't notice that.

Comment

Working...
                    X