Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Airbag to Mtech Steering Wheel Swap - Spacers Needed (with dimensions and drawings)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbag to Mtech Steering Wheel Swap - Spacers Needed (with dimensions and drawings)

This is a write up for installing an Mtech wheel to replace your airbag wheel. There is a thread for this, however, no one has included a schematic or dimensions for a needed steering wheel spacer, and only stated that a spacer was needed. Below is everything you will need to complete this job.

Background/Problem:
    When I bought my car last month the previous owner told me he did not have a functioning horn becuase he had to take off the horn slipring and turn signal reset tab on the back of the wheel to make the Mtech wheel fit.

I took off the wheel and noticed that the previous owner was using a oversized nut as a washer to move the wheel closer to the driver. I decided to take out the nut and reinstall the wheel. When I retightened the steering wheel retention nut, I noticed that the nut was bottoming out on the threads and was not pressed tightly against the wheel. There was about 1/2" of pay in the wheel along the steering shaft axis.

Solution/Part Dimensions:
    A spacer is needed to be placed onto the steering shaft after the wheel is placed onto the splines. (See schematic below - spacer is shaded in red). I took some measurements and came up with the following dimensions:
    ID = 0.75", OD = 1.125", t = 0.5". My coworker just got his mini lathe back up and running to work on his airplane, and he was nice enough to make a spacer for me. Perfect fit! Hope this helps you all. FYI, the stock spacer is used behind the wheel and allows the turn signal tab to be reset. If the spacer described above is used behind the steering wheel, the turn signal arm will not be reset.

Materials:
    I had planned on buying this part from McMaster-Carr (92510A850) and then ask my coworker to downturn the OD from 1.5" to 1.125", be he had some scrap aluminum in his shop. Saved me $20!

Drawing/Dimensions for Reference:
    Here is my thought process and the dimensions for reference.

Final Product:

Last edited by mech3ngn; 06-08-2017, 08:54 PM.

1991 325i m20b25 5spd
    GOES-R Systems Engineer

Because hardware store washers only cost .15 cents each? A single sleeve spacer is more elegant though.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      Because hardware store washers only cost .15 cents each? A single sleeve spacer is more elegant though.
      Thats what I tried first, no one around town carried the size washers needed. McMasterCarr has something close for 10 for $15 but theyre only available in steel with a thicknesses of <= 0.080".

1991 325i m20b25 5spd
      GOES-R Systems Engineer

Comment

Oh really? I got 3 washers from my local Lowe's hardware store that got the job done. Guess I lucked out.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by mech3ngn View Post
          This is a write up for installing an Mtech wheel to replace your airbag wheel. There is a thread for this, however, no one has included a schematic or dimensions for a needed steering wheel spacer, and only stated that a spacer was needed. Below is everything you will need to complete this job.
          Here's the BMW part number for the spacer you needed. You can find them on non-airbag cars.
          Last edited by uturn; 06-11-2017, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
            Here's the BMW part number for the spacer you needed. You can find them on non-airbag cars.
            I tried sourcing this as well but no parts stores in my area could find the part number in their systems and both local BMW dealers needed to order it in from Germany, with a 3-5 week wait.
            Steve • Toronto
            1991 318is • Brillantrot
            Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
              I tried sourcing this as well but no parts stores in my area could find the part number in their systems and both local BMW dealers needed to order it in from Germany, with a 3-5 week wait.

I got mine from blunttech in about 3 days and honestly i think i have one laying around cause i ended up not being able to use it on my car and had to go the washer route.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I'm actually using them on two of my e30s. Both MT1 wheels, one on a '89 vert and the other a '91 318. Sourced from the local pick and pulls.

Comment

Working...
                X