Synthetic Diff Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic Diff Fluid

What do you guys think? Is it good or bad in the long run? Will it cause less rattle? What are the best brands?

Thanks,
    Saul
    Saul
    01 330ci Daily Driver
    89 332is Auto-x Friend
    95 M3 *SOLD*
    87 325is *SOLD*

I've heard that some synthetics can cause more rattle. I think Ryan Stewart said that he used Royal Purple and it made his diff noisy. I currently use RedLine Gear Oil and it works great... never any noise (although I never had any to begin with).
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Redline 75w90 or 80w140 if you have a really noisy diff.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro
        Redline 75w90 or 80w140 if you have a really noisy diff.

Jon
        Rides...
        1991 325i - sold :(
        2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

I'm running some Valvoline Synpower in my diff, and there is no noise from it.

However there is some weird RPM related clicking sound comming from my gearbox.
          I ran some redline D4 atf in it for the winter, and the noise started after I put that in.No shifting problems at all, and it shifted great when cold.
          I just changed it over to Redline MTL and the noise is still there, anyone have similar problems?

Comment

Originally posted by DaN
            I'm running some Valvoline Synpower in my diff, and there is no noise from it.

However there is some weird RPM related clicking sound comming from my gearbox.
            I ran some redline D4 atf in it for the winter, and the noise started after I put that in.No shifting problems at all, and it shifted great when cold.
            I just changed it over to Redline MTL and the noise is still there, anyone have similar problems?
            I have the same thing. I get some clikcing noise from my gearbox too past 4500rpms, the sound gets louder as RPMS get higher. I changed my fluid to Kendall 80w-90 and it still persists. Anyone else have this problem too?

-Saul
            Saul
            01 330ci Daily Driver
            89 332is Auto-x Friend
            95 M3 *SOLD*
            87 325is *SOLD*

Comment

Synth is the BEST thing for our cars! It will lower operating temps, work better when really cold and hot, lubs better, and last longer. it can also help a failing part hold up a little longer, or mask a problem, lower noise, nicer shifting, etc...

Some diffs need LSD compatible fluid. If you add just regular stuff, you can have diif whine, and other noises.

improper trans fluid will cause hard shifting, and make noise.

If your parts are going out, use a HEAVER weight fluid, it will cushion the parts more and absorb a lot of NOISE. 75-90 LSD for the diff, 80-140 for problem diffs.

I have had great luck with both Redline and Amsoil diff fluid, but I change it once a year and my parts are in perfect shape, both also have the additive for LSD.

For the trans nothing is better then Redline MTL, but this stuff is LIGHT, and can leak on some trans, you can add the same fluid as the diff, but cold shifting can be a problem, but it will not leak as much, and will run quieter. You can also add 1qt redline and the rest 75-90 for the best of both worlds.

Comment

Saul, get the Redline fluid like the others have said. Although it doesn't get THAT cold here in SD ( ), it sure makes those early morning shifts a lot easier. I have heard that it can cause premature wear, but I have used it in all my cars (diff and tranny) and have never had a problem. Order it or buy it locally (you can even get it at the Brecht dealership - what does that tell you?!?)

Comment

Originally posted by JasonH
                  Saul, get the Redline fluid like the others have said. Although it doesn't get THAT cold here in SD ( ), it sure makes those early morning shifts a lot easier. I have heard that it can cause premature wear, but I have used it in all my cars (diff and tranny) and have never had a problem. Order it or buy it locally (you can even get it at the Brecht dealership - what does that tell you?!?)
                  Sweet, I'll probably get Redline 80w-140. You know much it usually runs per quart? And also whats the cheapest place in SD to get it? Dave Turner Motorsports?? Thanks!

-Saul
                  Saul
                  01 330ci Daily Driver
                  89 332is Auto-x Friend
                  95 M3 *SOLD*
                  87 325is *SOLD*

Comment

I got some at Dave Turner. It was competitively priced and the only place i could find it locally. I guess i can get it from Brecht next time.

Comment

I got a quart for $15 is that pricy?
                      ________
                      Medical cannabis
                      Last edited by ///M42 sport; 04-30-2011, 04:39 PM.
                      Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                      http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport
                        I pay $9 a QT and $70 per case. You can get it cheaper online then $15.

I can also send you some Amsoil Series 2000 75-90 for $20

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport
                          Some sites sell 6.99/qt just look on google.

-Saul
                          Saul
                          01 330ci Daily Driver
                          89 332is Auto-x Friend
                          95 M3 *SOLD*
                          87 325is *SOLD*

Comment

Working...
                          X