Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't Remove Throttle Cable from Firewall!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Remove Throttle Cable from Firewall!!

I'm replacing my throttle cable. Disconnecting it in the engine(throttle body) is a 30 second job. Removing the hook end of the old cable in the footwell also easy. I seem to be having trouble pulling out(or pushing?) that squarish plastic piece that is lodged in the firewall itself. What is the best procedure to remove that thing from the firewall?

You need to release the catch tabs that hold it into the firewall. There is one tab on the top, and one on the bottom. I have always been able to get them out by poking with screwdrivers. It's no fun at all.

-Erik

Comment

I just did this last week. Two options; channel locks, or vise grips. I put the vice grips on the plug about 2/3 of the way to the wall and clamped them down. That allowed me to push it 1/3 of the way through hence getting the tabs past the wall. Very easy. Took 30 seconds too :)
      sigpic

Comment

What worked for ya?
        sigpic

Comment

If you are replacing the whole cable, just put a flat screw driver on the plastic portiton and give it a good hit with hammer, the plastic will crack and the "holder" will come out.
          Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
          BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
          BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
          BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

I became so frustrated that's what I ended up doing. Took a long 15 inch screwdriver, and one good hit with a hammer. It WILL come out! Just be careful to line up the screwdriver on the plastic piece. The firewall metal is thin, and you can easily make an unwanted hole. How do I know? Lets not go there...

Comment

vice grips...
              sigpic

Comment

Just so you know what your dealing with, HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
                  If you are replacing the whole cable, just put a flat screw driver on the plastic portiton and give it a good hit with hammer, the plastic will crack and the "holder" will come out.
                  Thanks so much, this tip worked perfectly.

Comment

I've been needing to replace mine but have been unsure how to go about it. Thanks now I know what I'm getting from the junkyard next
                    2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8
                    1986 Slammed Shwarz ETA Coupé (DEAD)
                    2004 Slammed TSX A/T (Wifey's)
                    1963 Slammed ChevyII never ending project
                    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK CaféRacer

Comment

Get a new cable. They are cheap and will be 100x smoother than a used cable.

Comment

I replaced my cable today, no kidding, damn it was hard getting that plug out of the firewall. I found it very hard to squeeze on the top tab especially.
                        What worked for me in the end, was rotating the whole plug by 90' (assuming the old cable will not be reused), with a grip plier. After that, squeezing the 2 tabs from both sides was much easier.
                        Gavin

Comment

Yeah, I ended up having to use extra long needlenose pliers, and I still broke the tabs
                          1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
                          1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
                          1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
                          My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

Whats the part number for the tab which is likely to break?
                            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

It should be a one piece item, cable and tab all together. I think I bought one new for $20 or something cheap like that. 35411154285 from my records for the m20, not sure if different between year.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Working...
                              X