Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

r-134a retrofit conversion kit

Yes I am familiar with this thread!

I still wanted to ask in hopes someone has more dated insight. or someone with the same vehicle 1990 325i E30.

First I wanted to confirm the parts/part numbers. I am looking to do a complete conversion.

64-51-1-468-560-M203 A/C Evaporator
    64-11-8-363-259-BOE Filling Valve Adapter
    64-11-8-363-260-BOE Filling Valve Adapter
    64-53-8-390-971-BOE Safety Pressure Switch
    64-53-8-391-025-M326 Receiver Dryer
    64-51-1-466-259 Expansion Valve

The O rings, I get confused about. The thread listed above lists these and says to get 8 each? seems a bit much.
    64501468463 (64-50-8-390-601)
    64501468465 (64-50-8-390-603)

I also have a pretty detailed pdf, forgot how i got, that only mentions these 2 O rings.
    64 50 8 390 601
    64 50 8 390 602
    I'm all for making sure i have more than enough, but if anyone can bring insight to this i would very appreciate it. seems like some parts (like the evaporator) come with o rings as well

and of course the compressor and condenser. I would love recommendations. A bolt on would be great but willing to retrofit a nice compressor.

ALSO I want to change my pipes.. where get r134 ones?

Be sure to use Ester oil instead of Pag.

Comment

I am just asking, but isn’t there any better setup for the e30 now? I mean r134a is a crappy stop gap refrigerant that is basically not used anymore.

We don’t even stock it at our hvac shop anymore.
      Originally posted by codyep3
      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
      2010 F650gs twin
      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

...and it's due to be phased out for something that sounds suspiciously like propane
        in a very expensive party dress... 1234ka-BOOM or something like that...

t
        just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean this ISN'T another scam...
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
          Be sure to use Ester oil instead of Pag.
          If I am doing a full 134a conversion i think ill use PAG!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
            I am just asking, but isn’t there any better setup for the e30 now? I mean r134a is a crappy stop gap refrigerant that is basically not used anymore.

We don’t even stock it at our hvac shop anymore.
            wuhhhh, please explain more! Is there another conversion out there i am not familiar with?

Comment

R12a.

Comment

Originally posted by Big swifty View Post
                R12a.
                ?

Comment

If you're going to go through all that consider using R12a (specifically Redtek) as a refrigerant. There are those in both the pro and con camps- some very zealous.

R12a is more efficient.

The main knock on HC-based refrigerants is based on flammability. It is my understanding ALL refrigerants are flammable when compressed. My decision is based on the fact that the worry of a few oz of R12a compared to the many gallons of gasoline is similar. I haven't seen anybody demonstrate an actual case of passengers being injured from the use of R12a.

Comment

Originally posted by Big swifty View Post
                    If you're going to go through all that consider using R12a (specifically Redtek) as a refrigerant. There are those in both the pro and con camps- some very zealous.

R12a is more efficient.

The main knock on HC-based refrigerants is based on flammability. It is my understanding ALL refrigerants are flammable when compressed. My decision is based on the fact that the worry of a few oz of R12a compared to the many gallons of gasoline is similar. I haven't seen anybody demonstrate an actual case of passengers being injured from the use of R12a.
                    Mmmmm what do you mean by effiency? I’ve never heard of r134 as being inefficient or not efficient enough and it r12a as widely available as r134a?

Comment

There is A LOT of information about R12a on the interwebs. This subject can quickly turn into a "heated" dialogue.

It has a larger molecule size so it's less likely to leak out of hoses. It runs at lower pressures (higher efficiency) than R134.

I decided to use it. YMMV. The VW vanagon guys have had great experiences,

Comment

I bought an r134 seal kit off ECS, and the seals are all grey. Have you guys seen grey r134 seals, or do they have to be green? When I questioned them, ECS said these are r134 seals. It doesn't look like picture online.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190114_185420.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	7200385

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk
                        R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                        └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

From my experience grey is oil safe and green can handle the bigger pressures of 134a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go R12A (Hydrocarbon replacement for R12), swapping to R134a is silly.
                            Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Working...
                            X