Part difference confusion in a euro in-between-year vert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part difference confusion in a euro in-between-year vert

I'm in an interesting situation with my car that i've had a hard time finding answers for.
    I have a 12/87 ('88 model year) Euro Vert, that I'm collecting parts for to swap to a manual in the spring.

However, I'm having trouble figuring out the transmission/shifter situation given it's an in-between year, early-model-appearing, euro model of the vert, which has its own weird facelift pattern.

Core question is: Do i use an early G260 or a late one, and do i use the early, sheet metal shifter carrier or the late model rod-style one?

My confusion comes from this: It's obviously early in appearance with the early tails, and valances, but has the larger 65L fuel tank, some late model options, and ellipsoids, not sealed beams, given it was a euro model.

Does anyone have vert-specific model year information? The e30ic site states there was a transmission change in 9/88, but I don't know if that's the box itself or the shifter carrier, and if that applies only to USDM models...
    1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
    1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
    1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

If I were in your situation I'd go with all late model pieces.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty sure if you just use all late model stuff it will work just fine.

also you should be able to find what your car came with in the ETK - www.realoem.com
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If you want to use the sheet metal shift carrier, I believe you have to use an early trans as later ones don't have the mounting for the sheet metal carrier. Not sure when the change was. Late model carriers can be used with either trans.

Comment

I believe the shifter change is 6/1986...... my car is 5/86 and uses the early style sheet metal shift plate, so I take it 6/86 uses the later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Originale30 View Post
            I believe the shifter change is 6/1986...... my car is 5/86 and uses the early style sheet metal shift plate, so I take it 6/86 uses the later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Ah nice, thank you! Couldn't find that date for some reason
            1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
            1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
            1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
            My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

Working...
            X