Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to replace gas tank - advice? suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to replace gas tank - advice? suggestions?

I need to replace my guibo and gas tank. I think the tank has to come out to get to the guibo, correct? Anybody have a recommendation on where to purchase or a brand of tank? Any brand to stay away from?

The tank has no relation to a giubo change, although you do need to pull the exhaust and driveshaft to pull the tank.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Ok, but while the driveshaft is down and exhaust is hanging, it sounds like it I might as well continue and go the tank, correct? Otherwise, if I do the guibo first, then I have to mess with the driveshaft and exhaust again. Right?

Comment

yer you want the exhaust and driveshaft out to remove the fuel tank.

Why are you replacing the fuel tank?

Comment

The fuel tank has rust issues that have leaked. I have patched it twice already.

Comment

My parking brake is not working. How hard is it going to be to remove the driveshaft from the diff? Is there room to hit the bolts with an impact gun? Also, I have been driving this car carefully with a pretty nasty vibration at certain speeds, will I need to replace the drive shaft also. I know the CSB has to go.

Comment

I don't think there's room for an impact unless you use a lot of extensions, I use two 17mm wrenches back to back to get the leverage.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by clydesdale View Post
                Ok, but while the driveshaft is down and exhaust is hanging, it sounds like it I might as well continue and go the tank, correct? Otherwise, if I do the guibo first, then I have to mess with the driveshaft and exhaust again. Right?
                Generally yes, but you can slot in a giubo change fairly easily if you need to.

I put a Dorman tank in the M3. It was perfectly fine. Note that late model tanks are a little bit more of a crap shoot as you’re depending on the tank for a siphon setup, and they are inconsistent. Shouldn’t really matter with a street car, though.
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

ok. Great information. I plan to change the CSB with the guibo. The car has been vibrating awhile. I have to back out of the throttle at certain speeds to avoid the vibration. Do I need to replace the driveshaft also?

Comment

Originally posted by clydesdale View Post
                    ok. Great information. I plan to change the CSB with the guibo. The car has been vibrating awhile. I have to back out of the throttle at certain speeds to avoid the vibration. Do I need to replace the driveshaft also?
                    Given how much a decent driveshaft costs, I’d try the giubo and CSB first. If the rubber surround on the CSB has failed, that’s strong indicator that the driveshaft is bad.
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

OK. Thanks. I will get it up on 4 ramps and report back after visual inspection. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X