do i need an alignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do i need an alignment?

i was messing around in the snow and i was going sideways into a corner going about 20mph and hit the right rear wheel into the curb at approximately 10-15mph. it bent up the rim a lil bit, not real bad, but bad enough that im gonna get a new bottle cap for it. what my concern is do you think i hit hard enough that i need get a alignment or even worse bent something, like the trailing arm?

If you need an alignment, you bent something. That's what alignments fix. The problem is, on e30's the only adjusteable spec is front toe in/out.

You could get your alignment checked, and if it is out of spec on anything besides front toe, you'd need to start replacing parts.

Factory wheels are pretty strong. I twisted a control arm and tie rod badly by smashing my front wheel on a curb a few weeks after I got my license. The bottlecap barely had any damage, and I still use it to this day with the same tire. so if you messed one up pretty bad, you likely wrecked other things as well.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Go to an alignment shop and have the projectors hooked up, they'll tell you if you bent something, sometimes even what you bent.

Comment

the bottlecaps are soft as shit! i did a 180 into a curb and the wheel tore apart. it looked like something chewed off 1/3 of the wheel.
        Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

I hope it is not too serious to hurt anything. Let us know what you find out.

My mom slid into a curb at 20ish MPH and hit the front pass. side wheel. She drives a 99 accord. She needed a new control arm and the frame was tweaked a little:o She got the frame back to normal and the car rides strait now. I hope this is not the same for you.

Good luck.
          Originally posted by cabriodster87
          "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
          Originally posted by Kershaw
          i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

well, the wheel isnt THAT messed up, but bad enough that i would go buy another one just to stay on the safe side. about 3 inches of the outter lip is bent/smashed in about 1/4 inch, and because of that the tire bead seats kind of crooked. i driven the car and it doesnt feel out of alignment, but since its the back its really hard to tell.

Comment

Wet your street a little, then drive through the puddle, immediately check the tire marks on the ground, see if you leave two lines, if either one is thicher, you are misaligned or bent something.

Comment

thanks for the tip, ivo.

Comment

Working...
                X