interior courtesy light delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interior courtesy light delay

i have a '91 318is, and my interior courtesy lights turn off when i close the door (thus breaking the circuit by pushing the door pin in)
    i know that some e30's have delayed interior courtesy lights that stay on after the door closes for a certain amount of time.
    how can i mod this for my car?
    is it just a matter of splicing in a simple circuit board?
    any suggestions?
    thanks

a capacitor would be needed i think
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

two ten watt bulbs, it would need a lot of capacitance to work for any length of time

Comment

shrug...
        Last edited by george graves; 04-10-2007, 11:38 PM.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

An extra relay to control your lights, a basic delay circuit or maybe even a cap of big enough size (still will be much smaller than one need to be in parallel with the bulbs) in paralell with a relay coilto keep the relay ON (and keep your bulbs on).
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I have about 60 of them BMW OEM timer relays, (courtesy light function)
            if you like, send me $ 25 buckaroos and I'll put one in the mail fer ya.
            paypal: fporro (at) msn (dot) com

Comment

Your timer relay may have just gone bad. It's down below the driver's front speaker next to the door lock control unit.
              Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Originally posted by fporro View Post
                I have about 60 of them BMW OEM timer relays, (courtesy light function)
                if you like, send me $ 25 buckaroos and I'll put one in the mail fer ya.
                paypal: fporro (at) msn (dot) com
                so how would i wire that in? just splice it into the wires that go to/from the door pin?
                if so, i'd be interested. shipping to BC, Canada? V3K 5H8

Comment

Originally posted by micahbertoli View Post
                  so how would i wire that in? just splice it into the wires that go to/from the door pin?
                  if so, i'd be interested. shipping to BC, Canada? V3K 5H8

it just plugs into same socket that original relay sits in., remove...

- Hood realease handle, 2 x 8mm with 1/4" socket wrench
                  - Speaker Cover / Kick Panel, 1 phillip screw
                  - Speaker, 3 phillips screws
                  - Plastic cover below speaker opening,
                  - Timer relay module bracket, 2 big / brass colored phillips screws, wiggle it up, becareful or you'll cut your self.

you'll see relay next to Central Lock Module unit., swap Dimmer relay and you're done.

make it $ 30 since your in Canada.

cheerios,
                  frank

Comment

Hey Frank - i'll take one of those. i'll be sending paypal shortly.
                    Jay

Comment

sounds like a slick mod. whats the duration of the delay with these Frank?
                      http://bbswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by ryno View Post
                        sounds like a slick mod. whats the duration of the delay with these Frank?
                        READ man, it's not a mod, it's the OEM relay replacement
                        R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Originally posted by 92 mtechnic cabrio View Post
                          READ man, it's not a mod, it's the OEM relay replacement
                          depends on what your definition of mod is. to me its short for "modification.

currently i have a non delayed relay installed, switching to a relay with a delay would be considered a mod.

thanks for coming out.

Comment

didn't E30s already come with this? at least mine did..
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

my lights turn off when my door closes. There's no delay.

Comment

Working...
                              X