Engine Fan Delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Fan Delete

Has anyone here removed their fan clutch assembly, and either A) Ran a hotter thermostat and Water Wetter or B) Installed an electric fan?
    If so, was there any difference in the performance?
    Thanks

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
    Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
    Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Re: Engine Fan Delete

Originally posted by Skafrog
    Has anyone here removed their fan clutch assembly, and either A) Ran a hotter thermostat and Water Wetter or B) Installed an electric fan?
    If so, was there any difference in the performance?
    Thanks
    I think you mean a colder thermostat, and water wetter is a waste of money.

Plenty of people have done electric fan conversions, its not hard.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

yea, my bad. 80 degree vs 72 is colder.
      Have you heard if its even worth it though?

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
      Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
      Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

If you mean doee it free up alot of hp, then not really, its worth about 2hp.

'05 E46 M3 Imolarot/Cinnamon - CURRENT
        '98 E36 M3 Estorilblau/Dove - SOLD
        '90 E30 M3 Brilliantrot/Black - SOLD
        SRS BSNS Motorsports - 24hrs of LeMons Racer

Comment

You dont need any fan. Ive talked to guys without it and they sadi it doesnt run noticably hotter. Unless yous sit in traffic alot you should be fine. Standing still would be the one problem of not having any fan.
          sigpic
          2001 330i - In the garage.
          1986 335is - 325e with Euro 735 M30B34, Under Construction.
          1989 E30 ///M3 - Sold.
          1975 2002 - Sold.

Comment

I have seen e36's with this mod done, as for the HP+ nominal.. cooling is important and I would whant to risk overheating..

Comment

I wouldn't just run without the fan, unless you live in a cold climate.
              Even still, I would run an electric fan.

Comment

I have 2 buddies here done the electric fan conversion on their M40B18 engine...
                Using the electric fan from the E36 318i (M43B18 8V SOHC)

Simply bolt on and a bit of rewiring...

Not much horsies but less engine noise... Especially since the M40 is a little rough when compared to the M42....

Check here
                BMWClub Malaysia
                www.bmwclubmalaysia.com

Comment

Originally posted by fabianyee
                  I have 2 buddies here done the electric fan conversion on their M40B18 engine...
                  Using the electric fan from the E36 318i (M43B18 8V SOHC)

Simply bolt on and a bit of rewiring...

Not much horsies but less engine noise... Especially since the M40 is a little rough when compared to the M42....

Check here
                  http://forums.bmwclub.com.my/showthr...ght=Fan+Clutch
                  Fabian, would it be too much to ask for the part # and the wiring instructions 8) ? Are they running the fan with an independent power source and having it triggered via a relay running off the temp sensor on the radiator??

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine
                    Fabian, would it be too much to ask for the part # and the wiring instructions 8) ? Are they running the fan with an independent power source and having it triggered via a relay running off the temp sensor on the radiator??

Thanks
                    Part number... No have.. but it's from the E36 318i... I suspect there's no M43B18 in the states but would think the M44B18 would have an electric...

The fan comes together as an unit with the fan shroud.
                    So to install it in the E30 4 potters, just remove the fan clutch, the shroud and then pin the 'new' shroud onto the radiator... so called plug and play.

As for the wiring, it was done by an electrician here... Not DIY...
                    If I recalled correctly, there's 3 speeds for the electric fan.
                    Speed 1 normal
                    speed 2 normal + aircon
                    speed 3 full (when temperature goes above 90 C)

the socket goes to the radiator temp sensor. I remembered they mentioned about tapping the current from somewhere, but use the radiator temp sensor to trigger speed 3...

you can look out for faulty speed 2 electric fan as the E36 owner would need to replace the electric fan when speed 2 is gone...
                    BMWClub Malaysia
                    www.bmwclubmalaysia.com

Comment

The new e46s use electric fans, you might be able to adapt one of those instead of a clutch fan, that's what we're planning to do soon, we have one laying around

Comment

check out what the hotrod guys use. It's about 125 for a fan. And another $20 for some mounting kit.

I'm plannign on doing this when we do my motor swap this summer.

I know some of the M3 guys do this as an upgrade - you might ask around s14.net
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves
                          check out what the hotrod guys use. It's about 125 for a fan. And another $20 for some mounting kit.

I'm plannign on doing this when we do my motor swap this summer.

I know some of the M3 guys do this as an upgrade - you might ask around s14.net
                          Is that ultra thin one adequate for daily driving?

Thanks
                          -nate-

Comment

Originally posted by fabianyee
                            Originally posted by e9nine

Thanks
                            Part number... No have.. but it's from the E36 318i... I suspect there's no M43B18 in the states but would think the M44B18 would have an electric...

The fan comes together as an unit with the fan shroud.
                            So to install it in the E30 4 potters, just remove the fan clutch, the shroud and then pin the 'new' shroud onto the radiator... so called plug and play.

As for the wiring, it was done by an electrician here... Not DIY...
                            If I recalled correctly, there's 3 speeds for the electric fan.
                            Speed 1 normal
                            speed 2 normal + aircon
                            speed 3 full (when temperature goes above 90 C)

the socket goes to the radiator temp sensor. I remembered they mentioned about tapping the current from somewhere, but use the radiator temp sensor to trigger speed 3...

you can look out for faulty speed 2 electric fan as the E36 owner would need to replace the electric fan when speed 2 is gone...
                            That sounds like a really good idea.

Comment

Is that ultra thin one adequate for daily driving?
                              don't know - the list CFM's I think - Most of those fans are for street rods - BIG american blocks...I think they can handle a m20 at idle during the summer.
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                              X