No announcement yet.

why can't you "retension" the timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think some people have loosened the engine mounts and lifted the engine up enough to get the rocker shaft out without pulling the head, but to me, that is WAY more work and effort then to just pull the head and do it on a bench.

That was one hell of a long sentence...

Comment

Originally posted by ptownTSI View Post
      I don't think you can replace a rocker without pulling the head? it is the #1 intake valve rocker that broke. if you can, let me know how!

I am going to get a new belt as well.
      yes you can, you don't need to lift the engine either. it's like a puzzle, it seems like you can't do it but in reality it's quite simple. you don't need to pound on anything to remove the shafts either, something else people commonly do when taking apart M20 heads.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It's not all that hard to pull the head, I had this one off and torn down in about 3 hours (of course then I have a shop and all the special tools like the fixture to lock the rockers down to pull the cam out etc.)

The real point being is don't risk it, put a new belt in em even on a hunch and be careful of how you handle the new belt (don't twist or bend them too tight).

I always did mine every 30k hammer down driving will kill the belt pretty quick

I do need a set of new valves for an 885 head my cost on a new set of int and ex valves is about $135 , always looking for a deal (especially for my $50 car)

Comment

Originally posted by DCColegrove View Post
          It's not all that hard to pull the head, I had this one off and torn down in about 3 hours (of course then I have a shop and all the special tools like the fixture to lock the rockers down to pull the cam out etc.)

The real point being is don't risk it, put a new belt in em even on a hunch and be careful of how you handle the new belt (don't twist or bend them too tight).

I always did mine every 30k hammer down driving will kill the belt pretty quick

I do need a set of new valves for an 885 head my cost on a new set of int and ex valves is about $135 , always looking for a deal (especially for my $50 car)
          from what i've read in the bentley and on here i don't need to pull the cam to do the rocker shaft iirc. or do i have that wrong.

Comment

from what i've read in the bentley and on here i don't need to pull the cam to do the rocker shaft iirc. or do i have that wrong.
            you don't have to pull the cam, no.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

re: "I don't think you can replace a rocker without pulling the head? it is the #1 intake valve rocker that broke. if you can, let me know how!

I am going to get a new belt as well."

It depends upon which one. If broken by # 6 or #5, then you have chance of loosening all the rockers and sliding the rocker shaft out towards the front of the motor, without having to remove the head.

I've done it before for #5 cyl rocker, but in hindsight, would next time just pull the head.
              For a #1, I wouldn't bother.

Comment

such an easy fix on a domestic v8, I can't believe teh germans designed an engine that requires you to pull the head to change rockers!

Comment

such an easy fix on a domestic v8, I can't believe teh germans designed an engine that requires you to pull the head to change rockers!
                  you don't have to pull the head - it's just that most people are too slow to figure out how to do it otherwise. :roll:
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Try it, and if you have to deburr the rockershafts (common) then do it right and pull the head. Trying to contain and remove all the pieces in the head is a risk. Bearings really don't like metal shavings.

Comment

Working...
                    X