IX gas mileage issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IX gas mileage issues

so after reading countless threads on gas mileage and how people are getting 25+, im a little perplexed on my situation.
    I have an IX, and I'm only getting 17 mpg city driving and when i drive all highway to get to home i barely get over 22 mpg.
    At first I thought it was my driving habits, i do like to accelerate fast, so I cut that down, and I STILL didn't see a vast improvement.
    I took a drive the other day, about 65 miles roundtrip,all highway. I purposely tried to drive economically. 65 mph or less, with the gauge at 25 mpg or higher. I filled up with 3 gallons of premium before I left, and I BARELY got home. I was scared I was going to run out of gas on the highway. wtf?

I know AWD takes a hit on gas mileage, but is it that much of a difference? People have been saying they're getting 24-30 mpg consistently in their IS and IX. I would love to get that.

What are some things I can do to improve gas mileage. I know the biggest one is driving habits, and I tried that but to no avail.
    tjmonson said it might be my valves.
    could it be other things too?

cliffs: get crappy gas mileage in my IX, what are some things I can do to remedy this? already have toned down driving habits.

SC*AR

Originally posted by JamesE30
    And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

auto? 5spd? service up to date? new plugs? wires? cap? rotor? fuel filter? air filter? transmission serviced? diffs serviced? which diff ratio? tire pressures good?

aka need more info.

Comment

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
      auto? 5spd? service up to date? new plugs? wires? cap? rotor? fuel filter? air filter? transmission serviced? diffs serviced? which diff ratio? tire pressures good?

aka need more info.

5 speed, i swapped the air filter out, it was filthy from the PO, so thats basically brand new. air pressure is good.
      other than that i have no idea about any of the other technical info. im stilla noob when it comes to wrenching on cars.

SC*AR

And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

Comment

You probably need a better exhaust like a B&B or something, that will help;). Seriously though, that really isnt that far off for iX numbers. Your not going to get iS mileage as these iX;s are heavier,AWD etc.
        sigpic

Comment

If the PO didn't change the air filter you better change the fuel filter asap.

And If you would take your car to a shop just to check for vacumed leaks that will be cheep and will help on fuel milage if you do have a vacumed leak.

Might need to clean your throttle body...

O2 may be givin false readings...

catalatic converter may be getting stoped up...

Lots of little things will cause the fuel milage to drop.

So Id start with the easy and cheep stuff then go from there.

Also do you know when the last time the timing belt was replaced?

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
          1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
            I know AWD takes a hit on gas mileage, but is it that much of a difference? People have been saying they're getting 24-30 mpg consistently in their IS and IX. I would love to get that.
            That's because they are LIEING! Theres so much bull **** flying around these forums about fuel economy claims its unbelievable. It takes a hell of a lot of work to get my 318i to do 30mpg in my mixed driving. Thats with manual steering, electric cooling fan, 4 hole Bosch injectors, no AC belt in the winter, 3.64 diff and an empty trunk. And then I still have to take advantage of every oportunity to coast down hills, coast to stop lights, use the highest gear possible. In short the fuel economy you're getting is (GASP!) normal or slightly above average. Enjoy the car and don't worry about it.
            Fuel Economy of the 1989 BMW 325ix. Compare the gas mileage and greenhouse gas emissions of the 1989 BMW 325ix side-by-side with other cars and trucks

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
              That's because they are LIEING! Theres so much bull **** flying around these forums about fuel economy claims its unbelievable. It takes a hell of a lot of work to get my 318i to do 30mpg in my mixed driving. Thats with manual steering, electric cooling fan, 4 hole Bosch injectors, no AC belt in the winter, 3.64 diff and an empty trunk. And then I still have to take advantage of every oportunity to coast down hills, coast to stop lights, use the highest gear possible. In short the fuel economy you're getting is (GASP!) normal or slightly above average.
              http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008c...ef.jsp?id=5323
              Are you calling me a liar? I get between 25-26 with 10% ethanol at 80 mph. mixed driving 21-22. My car has a Dinan chip, Billstiens lowered springs, all synthetic fluids and a Volvo front spoiler and I drive it like I stole it with the air on, I even have a 3.73 diff. I rev match all downshifts.
              I just got 24.7 with 1/2 highway at 80 and the other suburban driving.
              1989 Cirrus Blau coupe Racing Dynamics wheels and a Volvo Spoiler.

Comment

Originally posted by 330SMG View Post
                Are you calling me a liar? I get between 25-26 with 10% ethanol at 80 mph. mixed driving 21-22. My car has a Dinan chip, Billstiens lowered springs, all synthetic fluids and a Volvo front spoiler and I drive it like I stole it with the air on, I even have a 3.73 diff. I rev match all downshifts.
                I just got 24.7 with 1/2 highway at 80 and the other suburban driving.
                Do you have a 325IX?

Comment

so after reading countless threads on gas mileage and how people are getting 25+, im a little perplexed on my situation.
                  I have an IX, and I'm only getting 17 mpg city driving and when i drive all highway to get to home i barely get over 22 mpg.
                  At first I thought it was my driving habits, i do like to accelerate fast, so I cut that down, and I STILL didn't see a vast improvement.
                  I took a drive the other day, about 65 miles roundtrip,all highway. I purposely tried to drive economically. 65 mph or less, with the gauge at 25 mpg or higher. I filled up with 3 gallons of premium before I left, and I BARELY got home. I was scared I was going to run out of gas on the highway. wtf?

What are some things I can do to improve gas mileage. I know the biggest one is driving habits, and I tried that but to no avail.
                  tjmonson said it might be my valves.
                  could it be other things too?

cliffs: get crappy gas mileage in my IX, what are some things I can do to remedy this? already have toned down driving habits.
                  I gave a 325ix to my sister, and I drove it to Minnesota for her... got around 22mpg. I think the gas mileage sounds about right.

Also, tjts1, sounds like you have an M10 318i... it is the M42 cars that get magical mileage. :)
                  Autobahn Sport - ***503.715.0044*** - "ABS BMW Parts" on AIM

**To avoid delays with shipments, please note which parts you are paying for AND YOUR R3VLIMITED USERNAME in the "note to seller" field when using PayPal**

Comment

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post
                    You probably need a better exhaust like a B&B or something, that will help;). Seriously though, that really isnt that far off for iX numbers. Your not going to get iS mileage as these iX;s are heavier,AWD etc.
                    haha maybe i do. ok, thats good to hear, i just got a bit worried after hearing all these high mpg numbers. i knew IX's are about 150 lbs heavier and the AWD does take a bit out, but i wasn't sure if it was that much of a difference.

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
                    If the PO didn't change the air filter you better change the fuel filter asap.

And If you would take your car to a shop just to check for vacumed leaks that will be cheep and will help on fuel milage if you do have a vacumed leak.

Might need to clean your throttle body...

O2 may be givin false readings...

catalatic converter may be getting stoped up...

Lots of little things will cause the fuel milage to drop.

So Id start with the easy and cheep stuff then go from there.

Also do you know when the last time the timing belt was replaced?
                    the timing belt is actually due in a couple thousand miles. ill do it once it gets closer to the 55k mark.
                    any DIY write ups for those "easy and cheap" things? like i said in my previous post, im a total beginner at wrenching, but i would like to start learning how to work on cars. and i keep hearing time and time again how the e30 is a great car to learn on.

Originally posted by Autobahn Sport View Post
                    I gave a 325ix to my sister, and I drove it to Minnesota for her... got around 22mpg. I think the gas mileage sounds about right.
                    alright cool, is there anything i could do to maximize my mileage? like maintenance, replacing things, etc?

SC*AR

Comment

haha maybe i do. ok, thats good to hear, i just got a bit worried after hearing all these high mpg numbers. i knew IX's are about 150 lbs heavier and the AWD does take a bit out, but i wasn't sure if it was that much of a difference.

the timing belt is actually due in a couple thousand miles. ill do it once it gets closer to the 55k mark.
                      any DIY write ups for those "easy and cheap" things? like i said in my previous post, im a total beginner at wrenching, but i would like to start learning how to work on cars. and i keep hearing time and time again how the e30 is a great car to learn on.

alright cool, is there anything i could do to maximize my mileage? like maintenance, replacing things, etc?
                      Complete tune-up and new timing belt, correct pressure in tires...

**To avoid delays with shipments, please note which parts you are paying for AND YOUR R3VLIMITED USERNAME in the "note to seller" field when using PayPal**

Comment

Originally posted by Autobahn Sport View Post
                        it is the M42 cars that get magical mileage. :)
                        There's nothing magic about my M42 powered 1991 318i. Maybe its magically slow. ;)

Comment

Here was mine... which got nearly 40mpg on the highway.

Comment

I think the best I've done with mine on the highway was 35mpg. Never 40. The vast majority of my driving is short 2-10 mile trips in stop and go city traffic with the occasional 10 mile trip down the freeway. I consistently get 30mpg on 87 octane in this kind of driving which I'm happy with. I fill up once every 2-3 weeks when the odometer gets to 350 miles. The number of cold starts per fill up is the most importantly factor in my kind of driving.

Comment

The two killers for M42 fuel economy (on a properly tuned motor) are speed and weight.
                              I got 40 mpg on a road trip with cruise control at 65, and just me in the car (with 14" bottlecaps).

Comment

Working...
                              X