325 ix ... Rear Rust HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325 ix ... Rear Rust HELP

I was wondering how hard would it be to fix the rust shown inthe pictures I have attached. Any input would be greatly appreciated Fellas. Thanks
    Attached Files

I am one week away from buying this car. This seems to be te only major issue that I can see.

Comment

It wouldn't be too hard. just some bondo work. it depends on if you want it fixed or to drive a perfect e30. you can also just replace it. how much are you paying for it? any more pics?
      -tim
      Originally posted by Jordan
      I like the stance
      -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

here are a couple of more pics. I am paying about 4500 for this. Only 115k miles and most maintenance already done. Do you guys think that these things are a DIY for noobie such as me (in body work that is)?

Again. appreciate all your help
        Attached Files

Comment

try to pull the rear carpet lining...and check the arches of the wheel well & strut mounting points on top if you can. Those were 2 spots that came to me by surprise on my old E30, one of which exposed my wheel thru the inside trunk. Also double check the rocker panels all around.

Judging by those pics, there could be a lot more hidden areas.
          www.instagram.com/snwmble
          #snwmble

Current:
          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

only problem with that is the fact that i am in iowa and the car is in boston. Even if it was as you are saying, how bad would it be to get fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by EA8 View Post
              only problem with that is the fact that i am in iowa and the car is in boston. Even if it was as you are saying, how bad would it be to get fixed?

to be honest im not sure...a lot of the work to fix would have to be all fabricated...so it may get pricey. I saw the extent of the rust on my car (a bit worse than yours) but in all the same areas....and unloaded the car before I started to dump more money into it. If its just contained to the ones you posted, it doesn't appear to be that bad. You may find some hidden secrets though once you pull the front carpets.
              www.instagram.com/snwmble
              #snwmble

Current:
              '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
              '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
              '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
              '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
              '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
              '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
              '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
              '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                Judging by those pics, there could be a lot more hidden areas.
                +1...that really looks like it may be rusting from the inside out. Pretty common here in NE. Have the car checked or low ball the guy.

Actually, you might want to low ball anyway. I work for a shop that restores and sells old BMW's and MB's and NOTHING is selling right now.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morningsmiler View Post
                  +1...that really looks like it may be rusting from the inside out. Pretty common here in NE. Have the car checked or low ball the guy.

Actually, you might want to low ball anyway. I work for a shop that restores and sells old BMW's and MB's and NOTHING is selling right now.

what would you think is a reasonable price for it then??

Comment

there is one on Boston CL right now for $2500.

More miles, but looks good
                    sigpic

Comment

$4500 is too much, especially for a northern rust bucket.

Comment

I'll bet there's more rust damage than you've seen. Just based on the pictures I'd say that the car is worth no more than $500.
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                          I'll bet there's more rust damage than you've seen. Just based on the pictures I'd say that the car is worth no more than $500.
                          i agree, thoes spots especially the doors point at their being more serious rust problems you done see/ wont untill you own it and have it up on a lift

Comment

Originally posted by britishbmw View Post
                            It wouldn't be too hard. just some bondo work. it depends on if you want it fixed or to drive a perfect e30. you can also just replace it. how much are you paying for it? any more pics?
                            Id use lead, help the weight balance out..

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

here are a couple of more pics of the car? timing belt, brakes, guibo, suspension and all accesory belts have already been done. Do you guys still hold your opinion regarding the price??

otherwise I can try and talk him down .... thanks alot fellas
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X