Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Rotors + Pads + Install = $400-600??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Rotors + Pads + Install = $400-600??

Had my mechanic give me an estimate today and was quoted $400-600. Is this a reasonable price? I can't really afford anything above 500 right now and if it comes to that I was thinking I would do it myself.

Have very little mechanical knowledge but have a Bentley manual and am willing to learn. What do you guys recommend? Is it a hard job for a newb? Saving a few hundred and just ordering a BMA kit sounds tempting right now.
    88 325is

Rotor and pads are easy. And you might shop around, BMA might not have the lowest price.

The only sticky part of it is the rotor retainer screw. It can rust and get stuck.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

For me, the OP Parts rotors from BMA are the best bang for the proverbial buck. They have been through 6 HPDE's so far and and are wearing well. Free shipping and 3% r3v discount, too.
      I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

If you do the brake job on your own, one thing I would suggest is to take the new rotors to a shop to have them turned. You would be amazed at how bad a new set of rotors will be and the resurfacing will make them even that much better...

:up:

Comment

^How much will that cost? If I do it myself I wanna spend as little as possible.

And makrseven you got the flat rotors right?

And do I need anything else besides rotors/pads/sensors? I remember reading Id need to replace some self locking bolt or something?

Sry for all the questions.
          88 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Kristeun View Post
            ^How much will that cost? If I do it myself I wanna spend as little as possible.

And do I need anything else besides rotors/pads/sensors? I remember reading Id need to replace some self locking bolt or something?

I think I paid $50-75 bucks last summer to have that done before installing my new brakes. The process takes roughly about an hour from a reputable shop to do.

I would also get new rotor retaining screws (very cheap)...

Comment

You will be able to do it yourself, I did mine when I first got my car and the only other thing I ever did is oil changes along with the air filter. There is a nice writeup with pictures on Pelican's website.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post

I would also get new rotor retaining screws (very cheap)...
                K I need four of those right? And in the Bentley it says I need new mounting bolts that thread into the guide pins? Is this necessary?

Thanks everyone for the help!
                88 325is

Comment

I recently did my pads, and I reused the guide pin bolts. It was easy, though the bolts that hold the pad carrier on may be a bitch to get off. The caliper itself is easy to get off though. Two 7mm hex bolts and the caliper pops right off.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                  i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                  Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

I am new to the e30's but I have done a lot of break jobs and someone charging you six hundred dollars to do a brake job is ripping you off. Hell, I may be cheap but 400 sounds like a rip off to me too. Do it yourself and save a boatload of money.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by madformx5 View Post
                      I am new to the e30's but I have done a lot of break jobs and someone charging you six hundred dollars to do a brake job is ripping you off. Hell, I may be cheap but 400 sounds like a rip off to me too. Do it yourself and save a boatload of money.
                      Or if you really want to, pay for my gas and buy me lunch and I'll do it. ;)

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                      i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                      Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
                        I think I paid $50-75 bucks last summer to have that done before installing my new brakes. The process takes roughly about an hour from a reputable shop to do.
                        Damn you got raped! Napa will do it for around 10 to 15 bucks for both of them.
                        Originally posted by payney8
                        We heard economics is american for card game t/f ? :P

Comment

All you need is the right tools and the desire to do it. It may sound intimidating to the new DIY'er, but brakes are easy. Read as much as you can on how to do it, then have all the right parts on hand when you start.

I just installed front brakes on my e46 over the T'giving weekend. It is very satisfying to know you did the job yourself and save $$$ too.

Have fun

Comment

Yes, do your own brakes. Get a Bentley and you can't mess it up.

I do them every weekend at the track, in probably 5 minutes per side. To me, it's quicker/easier then changing oil.
                            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                            e30 restoration and V8 swap
                            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by Kristeun View Post

Yup, just the standard blanks.
                              I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Working...
                              X