Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel torque specs when using wheel studs and lug nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel torque specs when using wheel studs and lug nuts?

My car came with H&R wheel studs and lug nut conversion, but I'm not sure if the torque is the same given the different setup. Or is it?

TIA! :D

1986 325ES LeMons Racer

Same, but basically just not more than 90 ft lbs.

Comment

Ask supplier of the studs as they are all different.

some ask you to use anti-seize.

FYI Vorshlag's studs request this and IIRC torque spec is 70-80 ft. lbs.
      Last edited by GotCone?; 01-08-2009, 09:48 AM.
      Build : Das Drehmoment Ungeheuer

Comment

Originally posted by GotCone? View Post
        Ask supplier of the studs as they are all different.

some ask you to use anti-seize.

FYI Vorshlag's studs request this and IIRC torque spec is 70-80 ft. lbs.
        70-80 is stock specs (79) it is more determined by the rim/nut seat angle and material than the thread.

Comment

I agree, It doesn't matter whether you are using lug bolts or studs. Torque either to 80ft-lb.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

i dunno about using anti-seize. I mean if the manufacturer recommends it whatever but having the lug nuts rust on there a bit is a good thing if you ask me. Less chance of them coming loose. Also who the fuck actually torques their lug nuts on anyways get em tight then get em tighter than that. nothing wrong with over torquing them a bit, i mean 80ft. lbs. isn't really that much torque on a bolt/nut that size, just make sure you do it in a star pattern.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

A bit of anti-seize on the threads of lug bolts or studs is a good thing. That will prevent galling of threads as the lug bolt/nut is run on and off. Properly torqued lugs won't loosen and you don't run the risk of stripping the threads. I always torque lugs as it takes little time and is good insurance against damage to the lugs.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
                Also who the fuck actually torques their lug nuts on anyways
                you're dumb
                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

i dunno about using anti-seize. I mean if the manufacturer recommends it whatever but having the lug nuts rust on there a bit is a good thing if you ask me. Less chance of them coming loose. Also who the fuck actually torques their lug nuts on anyways get em tight then get em tighter than that. nothing wrong with over torquing them a bit, i mean 80ft. lbs. isn't really that much torque on a bolt/nut that size, just make sure you do it in a star pattern.
                  Really? That dumb?

1986 325ES LeMons Racer

Comment

Adrian, In your case torque them to 1/2 turn short of twisting off. LOL

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

lol. ask dan gillian what happens when you can't be bothered to use a $25 torque wrench. ;)

anti seize FTW. lug nuts are a wear item.. I destroyed my first set of vorshlags in a year (lots and lots of wheel changes). I'm glad I have studs because i would have destroyed the threads in my hubs by now.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You sir, are a fucking idiot. Take a few minutes and learn about the effects of stress on metal then come back and read your post.
                        '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                        '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

Originally posted by Fidhle007 View Post
                          You sir, are a fucking idiot. Take a few minutes and learn about the effects of stress on metal then come back and read your post.
                          id say just bouble the spec. 160 lbs. thats good right? the manufacturer prob. dosnt know anything.

Comment

Originally posted by FLUTE007 View Post
                            id say just bouble the spec. 160 lbs. thats good right? the manufacturer prob. dosnt know anything.
                            Nah, why the hell would they research the stress limits of metals used on vital parts of a car? Fuck that man, get a real torque wrench and go to 350 ftlbs.
                            '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                            '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

one reason for warped rotors are uneven torque nuts values and un-patterned tightening sequence

Comment

Working...
                              X