Horrible shake around 50-55mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrible shake around 50-55mph

I have a 89 325i posted before about other problems had those all fixed the car drives amazing other than this shake that i cant Seem to uncover what it is. I put The car in the air from the back and checked driveline and axles and every thing i could Touch was tight. The shake only happens when I’m on throttle and goes away near 65mph. I know I’m due for some new brakes but im pretty certain the shake is not from them. Could it be the guibo where the transmission mounts up to the driveshaft? Please let me know after i solve This my e30 will be mint! Forgot to mention wheels have been balanced and have gotten an alignment as well!!

Giubo, but probably csb. You can visually inspect the giubo, but you'll need to take off the heatshield to check out the center support bearing. After you've taken out the 1000 bolts that hold it in she slides out more easily to the passenger side of the vehicle and down rather than any other direction. Good luck! Post pics of the mintness too.
    "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Center bearing will likely clunk on acceleration from a stop. Flex disc can have anything from no symptoms to massive driveline shake, but normally based on RPM, not vehicle speed.

Also check your tires for tread/belt separation, engine/trans mounts for movement, and your suspension damping/mounts.

Comment

Where do you feel the shake? In the steering wheel? In your seat? Or everywhere? How old are the tires (check the date code)? I had old tires on one car, had them balanced at a shop, no good, in frustration I checked the date code, and replaced them. I guess if I had them road force balance it would have shown there. Then, my E30 vibration ended up to be Center Support Bearing (CSB) which I could feel in my seat.
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

A 55mph shake that goes away at lower and higher speeds is usually a tire issue. Get them balanced at a reputable shop, preferably road force balanced, as mentioned above.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

ok a lot of good things to check for, very intersting about the csb i got under the car yesterday and touched everything i could that moved and found this huge round thing before the giubo which from my understanding now is the csb, should it have any wiggle/play because it does move very very slightly? and touching base on the tires, just went out and took a look, couldn't find when they were made but from sight they look brand new i think the previous owner had changed them recently, there's no dry rot and you can still see those lines inside the tread when u first buy tires. wheels were balanced by a reputable shop and car was aligned like 2 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by EbzyyE30 View Post
              found this huge round thing before the giubo which from my understanding now is the csb, should it have any wiggle/play because it does move very very slightly?
              Typically we go from front to back, so at the transmission is the Flex Disk AKA guibo. As you move to the back, about mid way down the driveshaft is the Center Support Bearing (CSB). Yes it is designed for some movement. When they are bad, it usually pretty visible.

I'm still thinking tires and / or bent rim. To check the date code https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...-of-your-tires

Road force balance is are relatively cheap investment which SHOULD eliminate tires being the issue.
              2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Couldn't a bad front control arm bushing also cause a shake around 60 mph that goes away as you go faster?

Cory
                1992 325i Cabrio
                1988 320i Touring
                2000 M5
                1977 530i
                2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                BMWCCA
                E30CCA

Comment

tires are from 2016, just got a road force balance didn't solve it so I'm pretty stuck, should i check out the CBS, the thing is that it only happens on throttle if it was a wheel balancing problem wouldn't it happen at a set speed even if i was off the throttle? i really hope its not the transmission but could it be a possibility? there's no specific gear it happens in so i don't think that it could be the culprit

Comment

Jack up the rear of the car and crawl underneath with a flash light while you have a friend take both wheels and run them back and fourth so it bangs the driveline and look around at the center bearing, drive shaft u-joints and guibo, definitely sounds like a driveline shake if it happens while your on the throttle

Comment

put the car in the air again this time i think i found the problem, i wish i could send a clip from my phone, if i rotate the driveshaft and stop it abruptly it does have a little bit of play and does make a clanking sound but with all this there really is no vertical or horizontal movement. I'm pretty certain it is the U joint by the rear Diff. so my question is is that i have heard that they are unserviceable? so can i service it or do i have to replace the driveshaft.

Comment

put the car in the air again this time i think i found the problem, i wish i could send a clip from my phone, if i rotate the driveshaft and stop it abruptly it does have a little bit of play and does make a clanking sound but with all this there really is no vertical or horizontal movement. I'm pretty certain it is the U joint by the rear Diff. so my question is is that i have heard that they are unserviceable? so can i service it or do i have to replace the driveshaft.
                        You can service the universals, but it's not a fun task as the originals are peened in place, and are of course all rusted to heck at this point. While certainly cheaper to DIY, I have heard of shops servicing a DS for as little as $200. Don't skip replacing the center bearing when you work on the DS either way.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

You can service the universals, but it's not a fun task as the originals are peened in place, and are of course all rusted to heck at this point. While certainly cheaper to DIY, I have heard of shops servicing a DS for as little as $200. Don't skip replacing the center bearing when you work on the DS either way.
                          if the drive shaft is coming out I'm juts going to replace everything so I can have peace of mind. I saw some guy service one on e46 driveshaft and looked quite difficult ill try to find a shop that does it. appreciate the help.

Comment

if the drive shaft is coming out I'm juts going to replace everything so I can have peace of mind. I saw some guy service one on e46 driveshaft and looked quite difficult ill try to find a shop that does it. appreciate the help.
                            I would recommend having a drive shaft shop teplace them, every time I’ve seen them diy, 75% of the time they vibrate

Comment

got a quote here seems like a decent price, he told me that they would replace the rear u joint with one with a grease fitting and the hanger bearing for 490, that's just an estimate before seeing the drive shaft. wondering if that's a pretty good price. seems like the only shop around that actually rebuilds these drive shafts.

Comment

Working...
                              X