Alternator pulley grinding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator pulley grinding?

I recently purchased a new alternator and it did not come with the pulley assembly attached. So I removed the blades, washers, and pulley from my old alternator and I am pretty positive I put everything back in the correct order. I even had realoem and the restoration youtube video to make sure. Anyways, I am getting some grinding noises from what is the blade/fan portion (I don't know the real name) rubbing against the alternator housing. Any ideas what could solve this? I've tried install twice noise with the same result both times.

Instagram: Reichart12

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
    .... I am pretty positive I put everything back in the correct order.....
    Convert this to "i am 100% positive put everything back in the correct order". And hopefully in doing so you find your issue.
    Last edited by e30davie; 09-23-2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I just did an alternator install. The fan part is the first to go on. It should clear the body of alternator. If not the alternator you bought might be wrong ?
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        I just did an alternator install. The fan part is the first to go on. It should clear the body of alternator. If not the alternator you bought might be wrong ?
        That's reassuring that I got the order correct. Its a reman Bosch that I got from Blunttech that I am confident in being right. I'm going to test if the belt being too tight might have caused this issue later today. I got it as tight as possible not realizing there should be a little slack.

Comment

Take some pics
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

So I went in last night and loosened the belt a little to the correct amount of slack. I think it lessened the noise but it is still noisy. Here are some pictures of the unit. The fan backing that touches the housing is rubbed down and the housing has some marks. I was looking at my old alternator and a spacer/washer was stuck to it and I was able to knock that off. Maybe this piece needs to go on but it looks like the new unit has one already. Maybe it needs both or that the old alternator spacer is slightly thicker.

IMG-0821 by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

IMG-0824 by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

IMG-0822 by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

59098174739--5025EF03-BB7D-4469-B084-812AB228F2A5 by Nick Reichart, on Flickr

Comment

looks like a different fan maybe from valeo brand of alternator? since you have bosch 90A you need 12311735306 which doesnt have raised humps near the middle

Comment

Ah who knew there were multiple types. Will order one soon. For now, since I needed a quick fix, I put a washer between the housing and the fan making sure the path of the belt wasn't misaligned. No more grinding noise. As always, Digger, thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                  Ah who knew there were multiple types. Will order one soon. For now, since I needed a quick fix, I put a washer between the housing and the fan making sure the path of the belt wasn't misaligned. No more grinding noise. As always, Digger, thanks for your help!
                  Im only assuming, you should check for yourself. i used that PN with bosxh Al49X alt works as advertised

Comment

Working...
                  X