Heating/Cooling Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heating/Cooling Woes

As a part of winter prep, I bought a cheap blower motor and flushed the coolant. The coolant was looking, not the best. I didn't want to wait for BMW coolant to ship and I used a brand name from the local auto parts store. Now begins the issue. I never had trouble bleeding the system, as it is a late model and I usually park on a hill. So I just crack the bleed valve and done.

I don't have heat at idle and I believe it will warm up (past operating temp), very slightly. I have tried to burp any air out. I have heat when I am moving around or the RPMs are high. But at idle or sitting in traffic the air coming out is cool. Yesterday, I thought to keep bleeding it, noticed the clutch fan is very loud. Like Nissan SUV or Semi/Large Truck loud. It sounds like air movement not like a bearing. (There is belt squeal but temp went from 60 to 16 this morning, so I am fairly certain it is the alt belt, tension has not been adjusted in a couple of years)

Could a bad fan clutch cause no heat at idle? Fan does spin. It seems to wobble though. Or am I looking at replacing the water pump too? Water pump is a GRAF metal impeller unit, less than two years old.

I just don't have the cash to replace both at the same time. Life problems. I do have a project 30, I may buy a new water pump and pull the clutch fan off the other e30?

Just wanted feedback from someone more educated.
    Last edited by HerbE30; 12-02-2019, 09:54 AM.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Do you mean you have no hot air at idle even after the car is warmed up? If the temp gauge shows normal and you are not getting hot air from the vents, that would indicate a problem with circulation of the coolant in the heating loop, not a bad fan clutch. Also, if the coolant temp warms up as expected as the car warms up and then stays close to normal, the water pump and thermostat are ok.

Cory
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
      Do you mean you have no hot air at idle even after the car is warmed up? If the temp gauge shows normal and you are not getting hot air from the vents, that would indicate a problem with circulation of the coolant in the heating loop, not a bad fan clutch. Also, if the coolant temp warms up as expected as the car warms up and then stays close to normal, the water pump and thermostat are ok.

Cory

No hot air at idle, once the car is warmed up. Even the lower radiator hose is cool to the touch. I need to re-solder connections on the cluster to have the best reading.
      20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

You still have air in the system.
        Keep bleeding and it'll fix itself over time.

Even if your fan clutch were to fail, it wouldn't cause the no heat issue you are experiencing.

Also, when these clutches fail, they fail by not moving air.
        This means that your fan clutch is fine.
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

You want to hear the loud clutch fan, that means its working. When you cannot hear it or you can stop the fan with a newspaper, then its bad. First thing to replace on any used vintage BMW.
          Owner - Bavarian Restoration
          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
          www.BavRest.com
          My Feedback Thread
          Our Facebook!
          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Appreciate the feedback gents! I'll work on more bleeding. Maybe a total drain of the system and refill.

Any guesses as to why the lower radiator hose doesn't get hot? Even after the car is at operating temp?
            20% Accurate

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
              so if you let the core get hot fan off and then turn the fan on full speed is it hot and then cools rapidly (does core or one of the hoses coming out of core get cold with fan on full ?). just wondering if the flow is restricted , in US they had a recall to install a safety overheat thermostat in the inlet hose and they fail restricting the flow thru the core to a trickle therby reducing heat output. does your car have the small metal thermostat in one of the heater hoses with a smaller hose coming out of it ? if yes remove it and use small pipe to reconnect cut hose and see if heat output improves.

also as mentioned in post above ive heard that installing hoses on core backwards can reduce heat output (never experienced it in person though)
              in answer to above post the hose coming out of the back of cylinder head should go to the pipe with the control valve in it on the core (which i think is the top pipe)

Saw this post on a different forum. Describes my issue pretty well. If I keep the fan speed set to 0 then switch it to 1-4, heat feels great then cools. Will check heater check/core.
              20% Accurate

Comment

I think I have figured out what happened. Didn't hear the fan all the way home... windows were rolled up though. Will report tomorrow to let you guys know my fix.

will continue to bleed to attempt to correct the no heat at idle. Maybe drain and refill. If that doesn't work I'll be replacing the the water pump.

Thanks for making sure I didn't order a new clutch fan!! Some of.you guys will love my 'fix'.
                20% Accurate

Comment

AC button was clicked. Causing some extra noise somehow. I don't have an AC belt on. Is there a light for the AC button? Would have made figuring this out much easier.

Anyway that the AC button being clicked adds complication to bleeding?
                  20% Accurate

Comment

So fan was still making noise later. Replaced fan. Checked cluster and ground nut was missing. E30 is showing as less than a quarter temp now. Stuck open thermo. Problem solved.
                    20% Accurate

Comment

Working...
                    X