What’s next step? Another rear subframe bushing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s next step? Another rear subframe bushing question

I’m visual and many of the bushing threads pictures are gone. I’m at this point and am wondering how I should get the rest of it out.

tips?

Click image for larger version

Name:	D4440DF1-B43C-4EC3-B6BB-A16506EFC62A.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	9898462

Ideally with a press, however, I have also used a sawzall (very carefully), a chisel (I mean a screwdriver of course), and a hammer with a piece of pipe. Basically, get creative with the materials you have on hand and find something that fits.

Comment

Some ideas.

I would soak it with a lot of penetrating oil. It makes rubber very soft in no time.

Last edited by Vincenze; 01-13-2020, 03:36 PM.

Comment

If it were me id take the subframe to a mechanic who has a press, get them to press out old ones, and press in new ones.

Im sure its possible to get them out with various methods of cutting and grinding, but for 50bucks it will be done and then you just need to re-install.

Comment

Thanks guys! I was able to get them out!

Comment

Don't forget to get a 4 wheel alignment after it's all buttoned up!
            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I am assuming that the outer rim is a metal ring, I suggest this: Use a hack saw to cut through the bushings outer metal collar. Use a small chisel/screwdriver and tap it between the metal collar and the sub frame where the cut is causing the collar cut to roll/bend inwards. Try not to gouge the sub frame. Slowly tap the chisel down, rolling the collar inwards. You may need to go back and cut it as you go. When you have "rolled" the metal collar all the way through, it should tap/press out easier.

Comment

Heating the subframe until the rubber melts makes them fall right out. There is a layer of rubber between the subframe and the metal sleeve of the bushing and when it melts, the sleeve will fall out. Might need an oxy/acetylene torch though, not sure if a propane one will get hot enough.

Comment

Working...
                X