Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M10 making weird noises, burning oil, and not idling properly

I’ll attach a video of it.

the car runs fine, other than why was mentioned in the title.

if moving, the rattling goes away but as soon as I come to idle, it gets rough and I hear the rattle.

any ideas??
    I’ll attach a video of it.

the car runs fine, other than why was mentioned in the title.

if moving, the rattling goes away but as soon as I come to idle, it gets rough and I hear the rattle.

any ideas??

A vacuum leak will cause a very erratic and rough idle that disappears at higher rpms. But this wouldn’t explain the oil consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnyledge View Post
      A vacuum leak will cause a very erratic and rough idle that disappears at higher rpms. But this wouldn’t explain the oil consumption.
      Also doesn’t explain the rattling which is my main concern

Comment

Bump pls halp

Comment

Measure your oil pressure with a gauge.

Check your timing with a light.

Bypass your idle valve with a manual one and see if it will then idle in a stable manner- the 318 idle system is known to be poo.
          A small ball valve from the pluming store can work for troubleshooting.

See if your exhaust is loose/ hitting anything.

See if you have a lot of blowby from the crankcase.

Try a compression test.

Unhook one plug wire at a time to see if the rattle goes away

for starters...

t
          other that that, Mrs. Lincoln...
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

not sure if its the same system as m20's with the Motronic system. but I can say that these motors do not like vacuum leaks at all. just pull the dipstick while idling and you will understand very quickly, I would check every vacuum line for leaks, and for that rattling just sounds like the exhaust is bouncing around because of the bad idle just a lot of vibration. could be the shield that is loose as well. Good luck and check all the stuff the guy above has referred to.

Comment

Working...
            X