Cv joint installation, dead blow hammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cv joint installation, dead blow hammer

Without a special tool, is there a trick to getting splines through the rear hub to grab enough threads to finish the job?
    is a dead blow hammer on the diff side a horrible idea?

You can rent the special tool from Pepboys.

Comment

My local pep boys did not have one
      or could not figure out what i need.
      Is it okay for me to drive it home with a hammer?

Comment

This one https://www.pepboys.com/oem-front-hu...roduct/9212095
        OEM Front Hub Puller/Installer
        • Part#: 27192
        • | SKU: 9212095

Comment

I had to use a smaller rubber mallet to gently persuade one of my axles in all the way. If it doesn't go in with a few gentle taps, stop there and get the proper tool. If you beat on it you'll probably end up with a leak from the joint. Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
          (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

thanks for the help and the link my local pep boys had it once i spelled it out to them.

Comment

How is that tool used to install the axle? It's used to install the hub, but not the axle. The axle should just slide in. Often the splines in the hub or the axle are dirty/rusty however and cause some interference. Try cleaning everything with a wire brush and apply some anti-seize before install.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                How is that tool used to install the axle? It's used to install the hub, but not the axle. The axle should just slide in. Often the splines in the hub or the axle are dirty/rusty however and cause some interference. Try cleaning everything with a wire brush and apply some anti-seize before install.

Comment

Surely that axel spline should not require a tool to pull it through? unless something is rusted to shit or is damaged.

Never changed one on an e30 admittedly, but did the wifes subaru forestor axels the other day, bit of a clean up on the spline and the hub, bit of oil and in just slid into the hub.

Comment

the OEM puller worked perfectly.
                    i took a wire brush to the splines and the axle.
                    they would slide in pretty easily til they didn't.
                    thanks again for the help the car is almost roadworthy again

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
                      Guess I never realized the center is threaded.

Comment

When I did my suspension overhaul, the rear axles were also hard to install. After making sure everything was clean and had no burs.
                        I made myself a tool like the guy in the video shows, worked great

1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                        1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                        X