Cluster Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster Question

Alright so this one is a bit complicated (in my head) but it might be easier for you E30 savvy’s.

Back story: There isn't much i know about this car other than whats currently on it.... The car is an 84 325e that came originally with the m20b27 engine on it and I'm not really sure what ECU or cluster came with the vehicle. Right now the car has a later model M20B25 with an ECU ending on 173 (the fancy one). The cluster was replaced at some point and I'm not really sure if it was because the previous one stopped working or because its needed in order to work with the ECU. I know for a fact that the tachometer is different on an E30 equipped with a B27 and a B25 so that's most likely the reason why they performed the cluster swap.

My issues begging with an SI board that the LED bar doesn't seem to be working and an always on light that i don't really know what it means. Attached the picture with my cluster and an arrow pointing at my always on light.

Not really sure if the back story was needed but just figured it might help. \

Thanks in advanced everyone!

IIRC that light is the brake pad wear light, so either you have worn pads (or a wear sensor that has been triggered), or a wiring issue with one of the two sensors.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      IIRC that light is the brake pad wear light, so either you have worn pads (or a wear sensor that has been triggered), or a wiring issue with one of the two sensors.
      Ill be checking those latter today!

Comment

There are batteries on the service indicator board that should be replaced. Take it out to find the type of the batteries.

Comment

That's the brake lining light. Check the sensors, front left and rear right. If they are okay, then it could be a cracked solder joint on the mainboard of the cluster that needs to be reflowed at the resistor near the blue connector. I'm dealing with that right now on one of my cars. Most just pull the bulb but I like having everything work.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
            That's the brake lining light. Check the sensors, front left and rear right. If they are okay, then it could be a cracked solder joint on the mainboard of the cluster that needs to be reflowed at the resistor near the blue connector. I'm dealing with that right now on one of my cars. Most just pull the bulb but I like having everything work.
            I'm with you! if everything's not working 100% I don't like it.

Thanks everyone that has chimed in so far! I will be taking the cluster apart today and ordering the batteries.
            Last edited by j-e30; 07-24-2020, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Keep your BMW for another ten years then you'll learn that removing that goddamn bulb from the cluster is perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                Keep your BMW for another ten years then you'll learn that removing that goddamn bulb from the cluster is perfectly fine.
                hmmm I've been also looking into something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4mTS7gC0ns

Comment

Originally posted by j-e30 View Post

hmmm I've been also looking into something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4mTS7gC0ns
                  I am old fashion...the tach needle is perfectly fine for me. Actually, most of the time I shift by the sound of the engine.

Comment

Working...
                  X