Cluster Conundrum - '86 325e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster Conundrum - '86 325e

Hey guys, I've got gauge cluster issues which are multi-layered and didn't bring up any concrete answers in search.

I recently took ownership of my 325e Baur and knew at purchase that the Odometer didn't work - an easily fixable issue with replacement gears, sure. I thought - 'I'll get to it soon.'

Then, on its last drive, the gauge cluster failed - all gauges dropped to zero save for the speedometer which kept working. OK - a little searching dug up the SI batteries as most likely culprit.
    At least I now had the necessity to pull out the cluster and deal with both issues at once. Now here's where it gets tricky:

I've pulled the cluster and, if you look at the pics, my VDO cluster (logo on face, stamped on back) has a Motomoter speedometer unit in it. And the later-series Motometer Lithium battery SI Board. That doesn't seem right?

Further to this, yes the odometer gears in it are toast, but also there seems to be some heat damage on the Motometer speedometer PCB (pics attached). I'm wondering whether this may have been the cause of the cluster failing, and not the batteries?

Is this sort of PCB component damage repairable, or should I begin searching for a whole new unit?

Is my gauge cluster likely a Frankenstein assembly done by a previous owner - and when replacing components should I be looking to replace like-for-like with what's in there?

If the speedometer works, then the speedometer is good. Only the gears need replacement.
    What you see is rosin flux that was used for resoldering. Alcohol will clean it.

Is the coding plug correct for your engine?

I think only the speedometer depends on the service indicator board. Everything else should work without it.
    You should check if the cluster pcb contacts are good.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
      If the speedometer works, then the speedometer is good. Only the gears need replacement.
      What you see is rosin flux that was used for resoldering. Alcohol will clean it.

Is the coding plug correct for your engine?

I think only the speedometer depends on the service indicator board. Everything else should work without it.
      You should check if the cluster pcb contacts are good.
      Thanks for your input!
      I'll try to clean it away.

Coding plug appears correct, and all PCB contacts are clean and solid.

From some earlier reading I thought that with the SI Board batteries failing everything but the speedometer would drop out?

Comment

Check all the fuses that support the instruments. Check and clean the common grounds for the panel.

Comment

Will do

Comment

I bought my e30 that has a motometer cluster with a VDO speedometer. The tach and SI board are the pre86 model that did not use the electronic coding plug.

Comment

The gauges are interchangeable between the VDO and Motometer provided they are matching pre/post face lift.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Hi,

I recently just had my 85' 323i cluster completely redone by North Hollywood Speedometer. I would call and ask to speak to the owner and tell them that Guy referred you and he'll likely say email him some pictures and he'll give you the best advice.

Comment

Working...
                X