Driving with cut core support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving with cut core support

Hey all, I’m well aware of the stupidity of this venture, but would I run into any issues driving the car if the lower half of the radiator support is cut off? Mostly worried about the frame bending inwards, but I think most of the load would be handled by the subframe anyways. Anyone able to provide some input?

P.S.

Under normal circumstances, I would just fix it and not drive it for a while, but I may need to drive the car from Sac to Gilroy this Tuesday and I’m still working on getting it started, should fire up tomorrow

Comment

Depends on the distance, and what your needs are. I drove a car with the upper core support cut about 6 miles home on deserted back roads and it did not impact core replacement. Granted I did not measure everything perfectly.

Basically, don't drive for long in such a state.

Comment

Sac to Gilroy is about 175 miles of mostly freeway driving. Depending on how much gets done. I may just hastily weld on a new core support instead of doing a removable one like I intended

Comment

Rent a car for the day?
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
          X