Play in steering coupling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play in steering coupling

I'm chasing a front end shimmy in my cabrio (7/91 prod), so I put it on the lift last weekend to check everything. I noticed play in the steering coupling, which is the type with a non-serviceable rubber disk (the two halves and rubber disk are held together by big rivets). Should the connection at the rubber disk be loose? If not, how would I service/rebuild it?

Thanks, Cory
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

BMW sells the linkage with it all included but might be NLA. Other option besides getting it used, it to buy the coupler in a urethane or other composite material and you do the work to remove the screws and add nuts and bolts. There might be other linkage options which the complete assembly. I know Condor has a nice one, not sure if for street or track only application.
    Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
      BMW sells the linkage with it all included but might be NLA. Other option besides getting it used, it to buy the coupler in a urethane or other composite material and you do the work to remove the screws and add nuts and bolts. There might be other linkage options which the complete assembly. I know Condor has a nice one, not sure if for street or track only application.
      Thanks Alex. I confirmed that the full assembly is NLA. I saw the Condor upgrade online. Looks like it's made for the serviceable version and replacing rubber with Delrin could make the steering a little harsh for my taste (in the Ultimate Tanning Machine), but I'll call them anyway just to see if they have any ideas. I'm sure others have dealt with this problem since BMW stopped making the non-serviceable units.

Cory

1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

Mine is bad and while sometimes a NOS appears or even a low mileage, they are around $100. I debate the stiffness, but I have a stuffer suspension in my car so better feedback might be better for me. Gargastic has one, I believe, but urethane. Will have to look and which hardness and compare it to Condor Delrin. Anything will be better than my wheel rattling.

Comment

If the u-joint on the airbag steering coupler is in good condition, I'm led to believe you can replace the rubber disc by drilling out the rivets and using more conventional hardware and keep the stock feeling. I have a 91' airbag car and an 88' non-airbag car which I was able to compare the parts. The airbag joint rubber disc looks identical to the rubber disc I purchased to rebuild my non-airbag car's steering linkage during a steering rack install. Just an option to consider if you want to stick with BMW parts.

Here are the parts I think you would need to refresh the airbag steering joint (#12, #13, #9, #10) from realOEM which are still available.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
            If the u-joint on the airbag steering coupler is in good condition, I'm led to believe you can replace the rubber disc by drilling out the rivets and using more conventional hardware and keep the stock feeling. I have a 91' airbag car and an 88' non-airbag car which I was able to compare the parts. The airbag joint rubber disc looks identical to the rubber disc I purchased to rebuild my non-airbag car's steering linkage during a steering rack install. Just an option to consider if you want to stick with BMW parts.

Here are the parts I think you would need to refresh the airbag steering joint (#12, #13, #9, #10) from realOEM which are still available.
            Thank you! That is exactly the type of solution I was hoping to find. I also have a non-airbag Touring but had not been able to put it on the lift yet to compare the couplings. Keeping the OE feel is definitely my preference.

Cory
            1992 325i Cabrio
            1988 320i Touring
            2000 M5
            1977 530i
            BMWCCA
            E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post

This is good to know. I have the airbag model, like you, a '91. Will look at this as an option if I don't go aftermarket.

Comment

I also found this to help out with selection. I have experience urethane under constant heat is not long lasting.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-polyurethane-durometer-chart-akg.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	9959261

Comment

UPDATE: I WAS USING THE WRONG PART # FOR THE STEERING COUPLER. Real OEM incorrectly shows two different couplers for a 7/91 USA 325i cabrio (BB23), but one is for cars with no airbag. The correct part # for airbag cars is 32311156348. The picture in mtech325's post above is the correct airbag part. I removed the web link from my post below to avoid confusion.

Well, look what I found. Supposedly an aftermarket version of the non-serviceable coupling. Wonder if it's legit. Also wonder why every listing I see for the correct p/n per RealOEM (32311157214) says it's for non-airbag cars.

Last edited by cory58; 11-15-2020, 05:49 AM.
                  1992 325i Cabrio
                  1988 320i Touring
                  2000 M5
                  1977 530i
                  BMWCCA
                  E30CCA

Comment

Working...
                  X