Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	9963920 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	9963921

I was under the car mounting my Garagistic chassis brace today when I noticed this bolt hanging down from a slotted section of the chassis rail on the right side of the car. It is adjacent to the exhaust ahead of the catalytic converter. It has a rectangular head and can slide forwards and backwards along the rail. It isn't currently bolted to anything and there isn't a similar bolt on the left side of the car.

Can anyone shed some light on what this is and what it is for?

Well, normally it's for a transmission crossmember to body attachment. Was your car an auto at one point, or did it have a drivetrain swap?

Comment

also holds the alloy drip tray (tray is held by 2 square/Tee-bolts and a couple screws to front subframe)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_1863

IT14
      Last edited by digger; 12-06-2020, 09:28 PM.
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I knew there was something else, was thinking exhaust hanger, but couldn't remember one mounting that way. Digger nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          Well, normally it's for a transmission crossmember to body attachment. Was your car an auto at one point, or did it have a drivetrain swap?
          The engine and transmission were out of the car at some point but everything is original.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            also holds the alloy drip tray (tray is held by 2 square/Tee-bolts and a couple screws to front subframe)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_1863

IT14

Aha! Thanks. My car doesn't have that. I checked a couple of other E30s sold on Bring a Trailer and I haven't found a single car with that air duct (pn# 51711976719) in place. My car does have a sump guard installed. I'm not sure if I can have both the sump guard and air duct on the car at the same time.

Thanks for solving the mystery!

Comment

My car still has that drip tray/air duct. Can take pictures if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
                My car still has that drip tray/air duct. Can take pictures if you want.
                Wow! That would be great, thanks!

I've found a few pics of cars with it in place but I can't tell if it would work in a car with a sump guard and the garagistic chassis brace. Obviously there it's not a critical component since so many cars don't have them but it would be nice to have to make the car more complete.

Comment

Working...
                X