no start. just cranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no start. just cranks

have a question. my e30 has not been started for months so i decided to start it up (usually starts up) this time it just cranks away.

so i jumped the fuel pump relay and i can hear the pump on the inside. but i went to check the outer and nothing.

i have spark, battery was fully charged. in assuming if i have spark my cps is working.
    - fuse is also good. fuel pump relay works.
    if i jump the relay should both fuel pumps turn on or just the 1 on the inside?

From what I see in the wiring diagrams, jumping the relay should turn both pumps on. The pump "inside", I assume you mean the in-tank pump which is a low pressure lift pump. The high pressure pump is under the car. You need both.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

i lifted the seat and can feel/hear the intank pump. i cant hear or feel the high pressure pump when i jump the relay. can pumps go bad from just sitting?

Comment

so is it safe to say that even after pulling the fuel hose and putting a bottle at the end of the hose nothing comes out when i jump the fuel pump relay. i can only hear/feel the inside fuel pump but cant hear the outer fuel pump. also ive noticed when swap relays with the o2 and fuel pump relay the icv doesnt buzz. maybe im just retarded and over thinking it and dont want to buy a outer fuel pump. any input before i order a outer pump and fuel filter?

Comment

Im pretty sure the CPS triggers the fuel pump relay. So if the pump or relay are not being triggered, the CPS would be my first culprit. NO E30 should be without a previously replaced CPS.
          Owner - Bavarian Restoration
          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
          www.BavRest.com
          My Feedback Thread
          Our Facebook!
          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
            Im pretty sure the CPS triggers the fuel pump relay. So if the pump or relay are not being triggered, the CPS would be my first culprit. NO E30 should be without a previously replaced CPS.
            ^ I learned this the hard way. 325e, tested CPS (both) at the ECU plug. One was slightly out of spec (1067 ohms and should be 960 ohms). The other is over a million ohms. Starts when cold or just after it has been ran. Not in between. Waiting on new CPS sensors.

Comment

Both pumps run off the same wire, and should deliver fuel when the relay's bypassed.

So yeah, I'd strongly suspect your HP pump.

That said, it's not impossible that the pickup's clogged.
              All the HP pumps I've had make noise when they're running dry,
              but it's not a guarantee that they ALL do.

fwiw,
              t
              tests things with a gas can and an external pump. Because 'fire good'.
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

thanks for the responses. bought a new high-pressure pump. tested the old one with my battery and it didn't work. so i tapped the high pressure pump with a hammer and it worked. guess it was just stuck.
                didn't want to deal with the old pump so just put the new one in.
                E30 started up but now have a pin hole leak on one of my hoses.

Comment

Working...
                X