Building an S14 part by part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building an S14 part by part?

Just a though and wanted any input. Basically I want an s14 in my E30. I don't want to pay the crazy prices for a full motor, especially if and when this happens I will have plans to have custom rods pistons and valve train. I would like to aim for 300hp.

So was thinking about buying parts individually like a head, then cam carrier, block and so on. This would work out well as I would be doing this as a slow build maybe over a few years, keeping the cost small instead of one big chunk lol.

Anyways just want some thoughs on this and if there is any issues you guys can think of. I don't think there is anything wrong with this but you never know.

Cheers guys
    sigpic

lol that sounds way way way more expensive.

slow build!?
    i'd bet!

Comment

Well customs internals will be expensive anyways. If I am going to do it I want to do it right and spend the monies. Yeh slow build but fun as well.
      sigpic

Comment

Then you would have the Italian 320is! DO IT
        E30 buildy things
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

2lt would be nice but limit my power out up. A 2.3lt could do 300hp nicely that is only 15hp/l/1000rpm.

Where a 2lt would be about 18hp/l/1000rpm which is BTCC territory and beyond my experiance and also cost.
          sigpic

Comment

Johhny Cash got his car 'one piece at a time'. It didn't turn out like he thought it would.

I can appreciate buying parts as you can afford them. I have been doing this for my M3 over the last several years. Suprisingly, over time, some parts prices have gone up, while others have gone down.

If I had to do it over, I would have just stashed the money away. Once I was ready to do the job, I'd use that cash to finance the job...well, some of the job.

PS: what kind of tires are you running? They look like they have unbelievable grip.

Comment

Ur downunder....I would consider another engine. And your car is rhd too correct? Not too many m3s there either. I would contact the members on s14, who are there to see about parts and decide if its worth it for u.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJ View Post
                Johhny Cash got his car 'one piece at a time'. It didn't turn out like he thought it would.

I can appreciate buying parts as you can afford them. I have been doing this for my M3 over the last several years. Suprisingly, over time, some parts prices have gone up, while others have gone down.

If I had to do it over, I would have just stashed the money away. Once I was ready to do the job, I'd use that cash to finance the job...well, some of the job.

PS: what kind of tires are you running? They look like they have unbelievable grip.
                Dunlope Z1 Star Specs yes they grip like shit to white carpet. Got them from Tire Rack. Yeh that is usually what I would do. But this way it gives me something to work on while I wait for other parts. lol

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                Ur downunder....I would consider another engine. And your car is rhd too correct? Not too many m3s there either. I would contact the members on s14, who are there to see about parts and decide if its worth it for u.
                Yeh that is my biggest problem you can't really find second hand S14 around here, hence buy bit by bit. Thanks dude.
                sigpic

Comment

2.0L was under rated, it has a higher rpm range and made great numbers on the upper spectrum.

Buy a complete engine or plan to bleed heavily.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

You'll be much better off just finding a whole s14. I just bought a complete running engine for $2800 USD a few weeks ago. Finding someone willing to crate it up to ship overseas may be your biggest issue as it seems most people don't want to hassle with it.

Comment

My guess is that it would end up costing more than you're probably thinking it will... It always does
                      What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
                      90 325ix

Comment

Originally posted by BillBrasky View Post
                        You'll be much better off just finding a whole s14. I just bought a complete running engine for $2800 USD a few weeks ago. Finding someone willing to crate it up to ship overseas may be your biggest issue as it seems most people don't want to hassle with it.
                        That would be my ideal price range for a running engine. I plan on putting one in my E30.
                        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Well S14's in Aus usually go for around 6-7k. If you're aiming for 300hp you have to be prepared to spend AT LEAST!!!! 15-20k (this is inclusive of the motor). ANYTHING to do with an S14 is expensive. You'll probably want alpha-n, airbox, rods, pistons, valves, cams, springs, exhaust, maybe shim under bucket if you wanted to rev the bags off it which is another 3k because you need special springs/retainers. With all that you can get 300RWHP but its FUUuuuarking expensive.

But at the end of the day if you've got the money to play and really want to then go for it. Just be prepared for the many wallet rapings..

EDIT: sorry mate slightly off topic but how much was shipping on the tires? :3

Comment

Yeh I know it wont be cheap. $2800 for an entire engine is a really good price. I will probably have the M42 turbo first then work on the S14 bit by bit as something to do eventually getting what I want. Not really looking for 300 wheel horsepower more like fly wheel. Wheel horse power will mean like 340 at the fly and that is full race terrirory.

300 flywheel should still have good top end power while still being able to drive it on the street. I would expect to pay about 15k all up. As usual though bugets get blown out the window lol.

The 4 tires cost $830 all up including shipping. I have hear they are about $400 each if you buy them here. lol
                            sigpic

Comment

There is a complete 2.3L on the Boston Craigslist for 7k
                              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                              X