Airbags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbags

My mom bitches at me about airbags in the car i get. And i cant find anywhere that tells me what year E30s have air bags. Thanks.:ot:

Typically; 90 and 91s have mandatory airbags. Anything earlier than that and the airbag was a factory option

Comment

So like when you say a factory option there could be 89s with airbags.

Comment

Yes but they're sorta rare (I think). But as me and Joey (jinormusj) were talking about earlier, you would probably rather not have an airbag in most situations.
        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Yeah if it was up to me I would get one without an airbag but my mom bitches at me 24/7 about an airbag so a airbag is manditory.

Comment

Depends on who's paying...

Also, it's not that you would rather not have one, it's just how secure you make yourself before you collision. If you sit fairly close to the wheel and enjoy a 80-90 degree rigid seat position, you would probably do well without an airbag smashing you straight on your face and rattling your brain upon deployment at such close proximity to the deployment zone. If your taller or enjoy a more lax driving position, you should probably keep the airbag as it will be further from your face and probably help you in the event of a collision. Sport seats are hundreds times more secure than comfort seats as well.

Airbags are designed as a secondary passive collision protection. The seatbelts are designed as the primary. No matter if you have an airbag or not; if your not wearing a seatbelt, your screwing yourself more in a collision

If I was your mom, I'd be more concerned it had working seatbelts over an airbag.
            Last edited by JinormusJ; 07-23-2012, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
              Typically; 90 and 91s have mandatory airbags. Anything earlier than that and the airbag was a factory option
              there were no airbags on any E30s before 1990.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I stand corrected :mrgreen:

Thanks for clearing that up

Comment

Who needs airbags. I love my autohas deathtrap

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                  DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    there were no airbags on any E30s before 1990.
                    Sooo what JinormosJ was saying about a factory option on a like 89 isnt true? And what do the steering wheels with airbags look like?

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                      Depends on who's paying...

Also, it's not that you would rather not have one, it's just how secure you make yourself before you collision. If you sit fairly close to the wheel and enjoy a 80-90 degree rigid seat position, you would probably do well without an airbag smashing you straight on your face and rattling your brain upon deployment at such close proximity to the deployment zone. If your taller or enjoy a more lax driving position, you should probably keep the airbag as it will be further from your face and probably help you in the event of a collision. Sport seats are hundreds times more secure than comfort seats as well.

Airbags are designed as a secondary passive collision protection. The seatbelts are designed as the primary. No matter if you have an airbag or not; if your not wearing a seatbelt, your screwing yourself more in a collision

If I was your mom, I'd be more concerned it had working seatbelts over an airbag.
                      Yeah when i drive i usually have the seat back as far as it can go and im 6'2''. An airbag in my car that I get isnt a choice I HAVE to get on with airbags...

Comment

Originally posted by Jbarsuglia View Post
                        Sooo what JinormosJ was saying about a factory option on a like 89 isnt true? And what do the steering wheels with airbags look like?
                        yes, not true. there's no airbag "option".

they are big, ugly, and have SRS imprinted on them.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Have 4 spokes and look.. Well... Like an airbag..

Comment

Ughh who even wants a 20 year old airbag sitting in their face? I'm taking mine out as soon as I can...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Just talk to your mom about it. I know she cares about your safety but there's almost no advantage (and many disadvantages) of an e30 airbag.
                              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X