Top Dead Center HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Dead Center HELP

Since S14.net has been out of service for the past two weeks, I might as ask my questions here.

I'm trying to change the head gasket of my E30 M3 and I noticed, today, the metal point that points to the line on the crank pulley to signify it's on top dead center (TDC) is a bit off. I must've moved the timing chain a bit that caused it to move a bit. Keep in mind I still have the cylinder head on. So my question is: Is it still possible to set my crankshaft at TDC before I remove my cylinder head? I'm a bit worried because it's not precisely at TDC because I haven't removed the cylinder head yet and it's supposed to be exactly at TDC by the time the cylinder head is removed. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. I'm following the directions based on the KoalaMotorsports manual as well as the factory manual.

-PCASIL
    IG: SJZOOSUAVEBOY

Remember their is 2 top center. Make sure its on the compression stroke so the intake valve will be open. stick a long extension in the spark plug hole and make sure its at highest point....

Comment

Originally posted by reno808 View Post
      Remember their is 2 top center. Make sure its on the compression stroke so the intake valve will be open. stick a long extension in the spark plug hole and make sure its at highest point....

Please take a look at my video..

Comment

Bump..Anybody?

Comment

your ok

your fine to move it that tiny bit to the line pistons will barely move if at all as its so close to TDC, you probably find when re-installing it will move as you put things together, you just need to make sure marks are good with chain tight.
          it takes a lot of movement to get to a piston/valve contact point and if you are moving things by hand you would feel it stop and so wouldnt keep turning it past that point..
          Angus
          88 E30M3 X2
          89 325IX
          92 R100GS/PD
          :)

Comment

You're fine. Lift it off.

You just need to be careful when putting it on.
            1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Yes u can but doesn't have to be at tdc before removal. I'm guessing they advise it to make things easier when reinstalling? Not sure. It's easiest to find tdc with the head off.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
                your fine to move it that tiny bit to the line pistons will barely move if at all as its so close to TDC, you probably find when re-installing it will move as you put things together, you just need to make sure marks are good with chain tight.
                it takes a lot of movement to get to a piston/valve contact point and if you are moving things by hand you would feel it stop and so wouldnt keep turning it past that point..
                Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
                You're fine. Lift it off.

You just need to be careful when putting it on.
                Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                Yes u can but doesn't have to be at tdc before removal. I'm guessing they advise it to make things easier when reinstalling? Not sure. It's easiest to find tdc with the head off.
                Thanks guys! I'll take a shot of removing the head in a few days and have it sent to the shop to get it resurfaced.

-PCasil

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cylinder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	7160837

Today I got the chance to remove my cylinder head before I headed to work, and this is what I found. Carbon deposits on top of the cylinders.

So my question is, is this normal? And how can I remove the carbon deposits on top of the pistons without disassembling the pistons? I bought engine degreaser but I'm not really sure if the safest bet without your guys' approval first. Any recommendations on how to safely remove and clean the top of the cylinders?

-PCasil

Comment

Yes, to a degree. Mechanics will typically clean them up with a wire wheel.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                      Yes, to a degree. Mechanics will typically clean them up with a wire wheel.
                      Should I keep it on, or should I remove it? I'm hearing a lot of mixed reviews regarding to keep it on or removing it..

Comment

Easy off the oven cleaning product works REALLY well make sure you clean up after it really well and your good to go

Comment

shiny pistons

I use brake cleaner, wooden dowels(aka chopsticks) and buckets of elbow grease!

Comment

Originally posted by reno808 View Post
                            Easy off the oven cleaning product works REALLY well make sure you clean up after it really well and your good to go
                            Originally posted by uturn View Post
                            I use brake cleaner, wooden dowels(aka chopsticks) and buckets of elbow grease!
                            Thanks for your input guys. I'll try to get it cleaned by tonight

-PCasil

Comment

What do you guys think? Clean?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X