No announcement yet.

Top Dead Center HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks clean to me. Clean up any debris and the surface of the block in preparation of the head gasket. Use a sealant on the front timing cover area of the gasket.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      Looks clean to me. Clean up any debris and the surface of the block in preparation of the head gasket. Use a sealant on the front timing cover area of the gasket.
      What kind of sealant do you recommend?
      IG: SJZOOSUAVEBOY

Comment

Yamabond 4 or similar.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Yamabond 4 or similar.
          How about Permatex?

Comment

Hey guys,

So I managed to get the cylinder head put back on the car, so now I've developed a running list of problems within the cam box and camshafts..

1. Since there isn't a gasket that goes between the cam box and cylinder head, I applied silicone sealant to it. Was that a mistake I've done or is that fine?

2. I'm having trouble putting the cams back together along with the timing chain in the way. Any suggestions of how to successfully put it together?

3. And lastly, adding to the problems of installing the stock cams together, I noticed the lobes of the cams are touching the tappets. I truly must've done something wrong in this latter…

Please help me out guys! Any advice or helping hand is appreciated! I'm destined to get her running soon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PCasil View Post
              Hey guys,

So I managed to get the cylinder head put back on the car, so now I've developed a running list of problems within the cam box and camshafts..

1. Since there isn't a gasket that goes between the cam box and cylinder head, I applied silicone sealant to it. Was that a mistake I've done or is that fine?

2. I'm having trouble putting the cams back together along with the timing chain in the way. Any suggestions of how to successfully put it together?

3. And lastly, adding to the problems of installing the stock cams together, I noticed the lobes of the cams are touching the tappets. I truly must've done something wrong in this latter…

Please help me out guys! Any advice or helping hand is appreciated! I'm destined to get her running soon!!!
              1. That's fine.
              2. With Cylinder 1 at TDC (not BDC) Find your timing marks on the cams and line them up with the marks on the head/caps, put the sprockets on the cams with lock plates, bend the lock plate over the bolts after final torque, then put them under the chain, then install your cam caps E - Intake, A - Exhaust (with assembly lube) towards the center applying even pressure on all caps before final torque value. Do all of this with chain tensioner out. This is all very critical. Take your time and do it right. Rotate the engine by hand to ensure it moves freely with plugs out. You will need a special tool and an assortment of shims for your valve adjustment.

3. Not sure what's going on here. Once the shims are installed, the cam lobes will hit the shim before the tappet. Don't install the cams without the shims in there.

Comment

1. That's fine.
                2. With Cylinder 1 at TDC (not BDC) Find your timing marks on the cams and line them up with the marks on the head/caps, put the sprockets on the cams with lock plates, bend the lock plate over the bolts after final torque, then put them under the chain, then install your cam caps E - Intake, A - Exhaust (with assembly lube) towards the center applying even pressure on all caps before final torque value. Do all of this with chain tensioner out. This is all very critical. Take your time and do it right. Rotate the engine by hand to ensure it moves freely with plugs out. You will need a special tool and an assortment of shims for your valve adjustment.

3. Not sure what's going on here. Once the shims are installed, the cam lobes will hit the shim before the tappet. Don't install the cams without the shims in there.

Reelizmpro,

What is the special tool and the assortment of shims for the valve adjustment? That might be the problem why I can't successfully install the cams into the cam box along with the timing chain attached to the sprockets..

Comment

Oh boy, if you don't know what I'm talking about then STOP and do a lot of research and/or drop it off at a qualified BMW shop that has the valve adjustment tool for older M engines. The tool and shims are not cheap but cheaper than having a shop do it. I don't even own them and I have two S14 powered M cars...although I am friends with several BMW shops who do have them. S14 isn't overly complicated but installing and timing the cams + valve adjustment is the most critical and hardest part of assembly. I believe most people neglect doing the 15k mile valve adjustments required to keep it running in top shape. If you do choose to do it yourself, take your time and make sure it's done right.

Here's a very helpful link...

Going through a valve adjustment on my S14, so I thought I would I take some pics of process. I will skip the obvious that you have to pull the plug wires, valve cover and spark plugs off.. First you need tools. Feeler gauges, micrometer, bmw valve bucket depressor tool, magnet-on-a-stick, small ...

Another good one...

Last edited by reelizmpro; 10-27-2013, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Makes it easy to do the math and keep track of future adjustments: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/98327629...---bmwe30m3net

Open that excel file.

Also, just purchase the volvo shim kit for less money if you're on a budget: http://www.partsgeek.com/6h8rct7-vol...-shim-kit.html

instagram: @tonerrrr
                    High resolution E30 Fuse Box 300dpi PNG

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll take a stab at it this weekend. I've been doing research here-and-there regarding valve adjustment and all. I'll be ordering the shims and a set of tools to do it. I'll keep you guys updated, thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X