No announcement yet.

The 5 Year Restoration - E30 M3 Reborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5k is on the cheap side, are they spraying the jambs or taping them. Engine bay?
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Spraying jambs and engine bay. Keep in mind that price is if I do all the engine removal, etc and deliver to them as a rolling shell. Tack on $3000 if I drove over and tossed them the keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Saturday update. On the list:

Top off coolant and replace spark plugs (stayed with Bosch because i had trouble finding terminal caps for the NGKs I got). Took 5 mins. MUCH easier than in my 335

Diagnose low voltage issue. My wipers had been very slow, as had my sun roof. My radio would light up but not turn on, and my horn sounded really weak. It seemed like low voltage everywhere...

Car off...

Car on... There's the problem

Car on, AC maxed

The grounds all looked good, so I pulled the alternator

The tall brush is about 8mm, short one is about 6. Seems like a good candidate for low voltage. I ordered another voltage regulator from BMA Parts for $30 (part 704 54004 101). Not sure if it will fit but they had it listed under the E30 M3 and it is a Bosch part. Better than the $120 ECS had on theirs.

Also checked out what used to be the alt bushings.

Old vs new

Replaced exhaust hanger

Pulled the old power steering and AC belt, both are showing cracks. Going to clean up a bit tomorrow before reinstalling belts.

Comment

New M3 Owner...How'd I do?

Replaced the voltage regulator but I'm still getting 11v when running (at the battery and off the alt under the hood). Looking like a new alternator is in order. Anyone have a recommendation?

Comment

How's the alt ground? Did you make sure to accelerate the engine to "excite" the alternator so it can begin charging?
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by Zinoberrot View Post

Replaced the voltage regulator but I'm still getting 11v when running (at the battery and off the alt under the hood). Looking like a new alternator is in order. Anyone have a recommendation?

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
              How's the alt ground? Did you make sure to accelerate the engine to "excite" the alternator so it can begin charging?
              Barry is right - if you don't rev the engine after starting to turn off the charging lights on the dashboard it won't charge at proper voltage...
              Below the radar...

Comment

Alt ground looked good. Good advice on revving. I'll try it soon. Working on wheel bearing #2 now. Amazing what some experience, the right tools, and a good workbench can do for efficiency. This took an hour tonight vs 10 days last time.

Comment

Weekend Update...

So I tried revving before and during reading the alternator (from the alt, not battery). I got 13v immediately after the rev but it then fell to 12.75 and 12.5. During rev it gets over 13 but I didn't see 14. Thinking it needs to be replaced.

Also, I nearly finished the other wheel bearing. The job is so much easier the second time with the right tools. My best advice is make sure you have the right tools. Get a bearing puller set on loan from an auto store or buy from Harbor Freight or another store. Don't screw around with the YouTube methods of big washers, PVC pipes, etc. Also a slide hammer works wonders for removing the hub.

While I had the shocks disconnected, I thought I would take a shot at those squeaky shock tower mounts

Take em out

New v. old

someone hypothesized they were blown out...they were correct

In the process of getting these things off, I seem to have flattened the threads on the shocks themselves...

They were probably blown out anyways

So current status:

- Need suggestions for shocks. Thinking about staying stock, any thoughts?

- Alternator is on the grocery list

- going to do diff fluid change while I'm at it

Last edited by CurrusDei; 06-02-2014, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Cant go wrong with bilstein shocks. Keep up the progress
                    Current:
                    1989 325i
                    1988 M3
                    1987 325ic
                    Past:
                    2001 330ci
                    2001 M3

Comment

I've read a few places where people said Billys were too stiff. I think I'll stay with the stock springs because I dont think i want to drop the car because I'm scared of cracking the oil pan.

Comment

Decided to stay stock for the sake of originality and to keep myself from diving down the rabbit tunnel that is suspension modification. I figure there's enough to do on the car that the money would be better used elsewhere. So, 2 Sachs shocks and 1 alternator are in the mail!

While waiting, I decided to pull that awful radio out of the car. It was an eyesore, time to go. As I suspected, the install by a previous owner (our favorite zip tie aficionado) was a total hack job. Electrical tape and lots of it

And underneath the tape, professional level wire splicing...

Banished

This hole looks so much better than that radio

Comment

nice progress

Comment

New M3 Owner...How'd I do?

I'm on vacation this week so finally have some time to post an update!

Time to get rid of those busted old shock tower mounts!

And new rear shocks

Remanufactured alternator

Bingo

Working on removing the cosmoline from the engine bay. 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral sprits + patience an elbow grease

^ this is also the pic that shows the pool noodle in my engine bay. I would love to meet the owner who did this (i imagine its our zip tie fan).

I don't have a pic but I also discovered that time and heat had gifted my car a supplemental air intake in the form of a 3 inch tear in the intake elbow. Glad I discovered it before a leaf, bug, or other foreign object did. The new elbow has arrived and the pool noodle replacement gasket is on the way.

Now a question, several of the lines behind the engine are zip tied to each other, and two of the fuel lines are zip tied to hang from the brake line. Why in the world would anyone do this??? Any ideas? I'm inclined to just cut the zip ties off. Is it missing a bracket that the hoses are supposed to run through?

Up next...

Radio upgrade from this...

To this...

Throttle zip tie lattice delete...

And to replace the dry rotted wire wrapping with some fresh oem tape

No shortage of projects here! Should be fun.

Comment

I hope that linseed/paint thinner combo worked. I didnt intend for it to remove cosmoline but its possible with patience like you said.

Plan to use the stock amp?
                              Current:
                              1989 325i
                              1988 M3
                              1987 325ic
                              Past:
                              2001 330ci
                              2001 M3

Comment

It worked well. Still a lot of areas to cover. It will be easier to clean parts as I disassemble areas for various repairs.

Yes planning to use the stock amp, wiring, speakers, etc. I'm a total novice at car audio so I'll doubtless be researching and asking questions on here. I'll document thoroughly so that other stereo noobs like me can do the rmt200 install without any trouble. After a lot of looking I think its the best looks/function combo out there. Bluetooth streaming in an 80s car is going to be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X