The 5 Year Restoration - E30 M3 Reborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Insaini View Post
    What brand stereo is that? I love the way it blends so well!
    +1. Nice choice.
    I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

It is nice to see the work you are doing bringing this one back to life.

Cheers,

Jim
      sigpic

Comment

New M3 Owner...How'd I do?

Originally posted by Insaini View Post
        What brand stereo is that? I love the way it blends so well!

Ask and you shall receive my friend.

Its actually an OEM VW radio. It has Bluetooth music streaming, Bluetooth phone, USB input, front aux input, and an SD card slot. I love streaming music from my iPhone in a 25 year old car. You can get it here:

And i noticed that you're in Atlanta. So am I, so if you move forward and have questions I'm happy to assist.
        Last edited by CurrusDei; 08-07-2014, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Not bad- I paid a lot less for my '90 but that was years ago when it was easier to find a nice one...

Comment

As long as it's appreciating, I'm good. The work I'm doing is going to help a lot as well. The car if seen in person is in really good shape once you get past the rough cosmetic areas.

As restorations go this is looking like a prime candidate. No rust, engine strong, no wrecks, all stock. I may have to shell out for a respray, but I'll still be a happy camper with the finished product.

Now if I was trying to DD this thing right now and needed it for transport that would be a different story. That's probably why working on my 335 is more stressful.

Comment

We have liftoff!

Pulled out all the wires without breaking the clips, and man there were tons of them

The upper gasket on the AC is disintegrating.

This was quite a crack, and it's only one of 4 or 5. Think anyone would buy this or is it trash?

Next step: seat and carpet removal.

Comment

From the looks of the pictures, your carpet looks very clean. You just need to vacuum some crumbs. Why do you want to redye it?
                Current:
                1989 325i
                1988 M3
                1987 325ic
                Past:
                2001 330ci
                2001 M3

Comment

I was thinking the same thing last night, I'm not sure I need to. I do want to take the seats out and see how much I can do vacuuming and shampooing. The car has a bit of a musty smell, nothing like mold just dusty more than anything. I think that cleaning out all the dust behind dashboard and doing a thorough carpet cleaning should help a lot. And the leather repair kits I'm looking at all seem to have a good leather smell to them, but we'll see.

Also, good news on the windshield front! Drain holes are dirty, but no rust!

The rust bubbling I saw on the center the cowl doesn't look too bad - cleaning it knocked a lot of the loose dirt off. I'm going to investigate further and have a body shop guy look at it see if it can be just dremmeled off with a wire brush attachment or if it needs something more.

Last edited by CurrusDei; 08-13-2014, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Big sigh of relief from your part I would assume?
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I need to replace my windshield soon. Praying I dont find any surprises when I do.
                      Current:
                      1989 325i
                      1988 M3
                      1987 325ic
                      Past:
                      2001 330ci
                      2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                        Big sigh of relief from your part I would assume?
                        Yes.

Comment

Could be the perfect time to put a new front cowl in. With the dash out and new glass needed anyway. There could be a lot more rust under there that you will not be able to see.

Just a body shop might not have the experience to do the job right, see if they have done this job or do coachwork.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmoblau suicide View Post
                            Could be the perfect time to put a new front cowl in. With the dash out and new glass needed anyway. There could be a lot more rust under there that you will not be able to see.

Just a body shop might not have the experience to do the job right, see if they have done this job or do coachwork.
                            That requires cut and weld, right? The body shop i use is amazing. I've seen them straightening out a Porsche cup car, building a kit Ferrari 250 GTO, and they regularly work on exotics. Anyone in the Atlanta area should check them out.

Comment

The cowl is brazed to the A pillar. After it's in you may want the dash out anyway to apply some coating beneath.

Eventually the rust will spread up to the rest of the frame.

Comment

The guy from Magnum just left. I'm waiting on the full estimate:shock: which i'm hoping wont have me puking blood, but the good news...

He said the car is a diamond in the rough, great solid body, the rust is only surface rust, no need to replace the cowl :D

I'm easing up on my plans to drop the engine and have it be a rolling frame when it hits the shop, might just leave the engine in and have them paint down to the engine bay gasket. That would leave the VIN stickers intact (wold have to address this on the doors but all VIN stickers would be left alone.

I told him this isnt going to be a show car. My goal is for a really nice daily driver.

He did say the front bumper is toast, so looks like i'll be sourcing a new one. That wasn't unexpected. Glad the visit went over without any bombshells.

We'll see how the estimate comes back. Any guesses?

Comment

Working...
                                X