X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atmh
    replied
    Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
    I have Z3M bits and the rear runs 25mm ~ wider track.

17x9 et 30 with 245/40R17 are tough to get, really needs yanked, but doable. 12.5MM spacer upfront to get the track strait. F:#650 R:#400 (Rear coilover)

e36M brakes probably will be plenty if you stay light, but tons of BBK for E36M

You have to make sure your wheel profile clears the calipers.
    Thanks! That pretty much confirms the ET20 of the BBS RS 061 should work. Slight correction: I did say I wanted the biggest possible brakes, but that's not true: I want the biggest reasonably affordable brakes where I can still run a 16" wheel. Prefer OEM options vs. aftermarket options. E36 M3 front brakes should fit the bill well. Good to know BBK options exist for this setup if I decide it's ultimately inadequate.

Upon further reading I'm probably just going to go with a 225 front tire. Sounds like running a 245 in the front is probably more effort vs. reward than I'm looking for. Not really going for the fastest lap times with this build, just a good, fun to drive build that will do the occasional track days.

As for fitting over the front caliper: according to this comment it should work: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...07#post2363307

That really leaves me just with figuring out the setup for the rear. Still fundamentally have the question: has anyone custom build 16" BBS RS rear wheels to fit a 245 (or 255) rear tire with minimal mods (fender rolling, maybe pulling, no fender flairs) with Z3M rear bits? What parts worked for the setup?

Copying the screenshot above to searchable text: Can anyone confirm these numbers look correct, and confirm which setup works with the Z3M rear trailing arms and hubs?

There appear to be four viable options:
    1.5" lip, 6" barrel = 8" wheel:
    Center face from a RS 049 = offset of 48.8
    Center face from an RS 005, 021, 050, or 076 = offset of 36.4

1.5" lip, 6.5" barrel = 8.5" wheel:
    Center face from a RS 075 = offset of 46.1
    Center face from an RS 006 or 022 = offset of 36.7

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    I have Z3M bits and the rear runs 25mm ~ wider track.

17x9 et 30 with 245/40R17 are tough to get, really needs yanked, but doable. 12.5MM spacer upfront to get the track strait. F:#650 R:#400 (Rear coilover)

e36M brakes probably will be plenty if you stay light, but tons of BBK for E36M

You have to make sure your wheel profile clears the calipers.

Leave a comment:

• atmh
    started a topic 16" BBS RS wheels with e36 M3 Front and Z3M Rear

16" BBS RS wheels with e36 M3 Front and Z3M Rear

I've done lots of reading and research on this topic, and I *THINK* I've come up with the correct, or mostly correct, solution. Looking for a bit of confirmation from the community and feedback from folks who have tried this specific setup:

I want to run the biggest brakes and 5 lug + hub setup I can on my turbo e30, so my plan is to go with the e36 front brake/hub setup and the Z3M rear trailing arm/hub/brake setup. In addition to that, I would like to have classic style wheels with as much meat on the tire as possible to maintain the classic look of the e30. Hence: 16" basket-weave style wheels are my preferred choice.

That specific 5-lug setup requires an ET ~20 up front and ET ~40 in the rear. So while the e38 Style 5 wheels are definitely a great option for what I'm looking for, they won't work in the rear unless I run a skinny tire (based on the info I've read so far).

Thus, I'm considering going with a BBS 3-piece wheel where I can build the wheels to the right size and offset. This is where I come to questions:

Front:
    I would like to run the same tires on all 4 corners if possible, so first up:
    Has anyone had any luck stuffing a 245/45/R16 in the front fenders on an e30? Did you do this with an 8" wide, ET20 wheel, or something else? I know the fenders will be rolled to accomodate this, but is that enough? How much more was required to get it to work? If this is not really feasible, I will go with a 225 tire, but it would be cool if the 245 can fit without dramatically changing the look of the front fenders.

Front wheel choice: BBS RS061 (16x8, ET20)

Rear:
    I have an '84, so I understand the rear fenders can take wider tires than late model e30's. Challenge is the classic looking wheel in an et40 as required by the Z3M rear trailing arms. I understand a 245 or even 255 tire can fit in the rear with minimal mods (fender rolling only?) given the proper offset. There is no classic BBS RS wheel that has anything close to an ET40 offset, so I've come up with a few custom build options, and I'm hoping someone has tried and verified one of these options:

First of all, here's a screenshot of all the BMW 5-lug, 16" wheels based on a table I found:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bbs wheels.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	10025293
    I used this table to look to see what different center plate offsets are available. It looks like there are 5 (or possibly 6?, see the BBS RS211) center face offsets. If I combine those center face offsets with available lips and barrels, I come up with four "viable" rear wheels: 1.5" lip on all options, with either a 6 or 6.5" barrel:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	custom rear bbs wheels.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	10025294

So the question is this: does anyone have any experience with the 4 options "Setups that work"? I think the 8" wide wheel with an offset of 36.4 would be the "easiest" one to build: It would only require me to get a full set of 4 of the BBS RS061, and then swap out the face plate of the rear wheels with a faceplate from a variety of BBS wheels: RS 005, 021, 050, or 076.

The other option is that I'll need an ET40+ offset, but those face plates that create that offset appear to be more rare, and then I might need to run a spacer.

Any experience with doing this rear wheel setup? Any further input on the front wheel setup with the e36 M3 brakes?

Thanks for any help!

Working...
X