redrilling the wheel hub to a different offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

redrilling the wheel hub to a different offset

i searched around the internet a good bit to see if it was a viable option and apparently a good many people do it for cars that have really random bolt patterns (4x98, 4x120, etc) and supposedly its safe.

my idea was drilling the wheel hub and then using wheel studs. but i suppose a machine shop could tap the holes too. it cant be that expensive. and it definitely isnt $1800 for a full e30m3 suspension expensive.

so why havent i seen this done?
    AWD > RWD

Not enough room. The hub is cut real close to the existing holes.

Believe me its been thought about lol
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
      i searched around the internet a good bit to see if it was a viable option and apparently a good many people do it for cars that have really random bolt patterns (4x98, 4x120, etc) and supposedly its safe.

my idea was drilling the wheel hub and then using wheel studs. but i suppose a machine shop could tap the holes too. it cant be that expensive. and it definitely isnt $1800 for a full e30m3 suspension expensive.

so why havent i seen this done?
      Hub diameter is too small for the only logical size (5X120)

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

hmm, i see what you mean. custom hubs would have to be machined. that would raise the price.

5x120 is not the only logical size though. 5x114.3 has quite a lot of rim options. thats for american and jdm cars. in fact, its what i would consider a more logical size. haha. get away from bmw used prices to jdm used prices. the only issue would be offset. but you can still find a lot of 5x114.3 in the 20s range.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Still too big.

4X98 is really the only other choice. 5x100 is possible but you'd need to fill in 2 of the old holes first and even then most 5x100 wheels are high offset.
          Byron
          Leichtbau

Comment

Before you get too excited, lay those bolt patterns over eachother and see how they line up.
            sigpic
            Turbo Cabrio project: http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=19677

Comment

Originally posted by JTapper View Post
              Before you get too excited, lay those bolt patterns over eachother and see how they line up.
              Yeah, I just kinda failed to mention that part.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

mm, knew there was a reason people werent doing it left and right.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Hell, I wish I could swap my Astro to 6 lug!

Closing SOON!

Comment

At best you could try to come up with a way to mount the (expensive as hell) E30M3 wheel hub to the stock E30 spindle. I know there is difficulty doing it. I don't remember what the main problem was.
                    -tim
                    Originally posted by Jordan
                    I like the stance
                    -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Originally posted by Philo View Post
                      At best you could try to come up with a way to mount the (expensive as hell) E30M3 wheel hub to the stock E30 spindle. I know there is difficulty doing it. I don't remember what the main problem was.
                      1 is spindle size, 2 is caliper bracket location

Closing SOON!

Comment

I'd like to run 5x114.3

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          1 is spindle size, 2 is caliper bracket location
                          I'm running a front setup that solves both of those problems ;)

The guy who I had make mine is going to experiment with E39 brakes to see if it can be done without caliper mod.
                          sigpic
                          Turbo Cabrio project: http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=19677

Comment

Originally posted by JTapper View Post
                            I'm running a front setup that solves both of those problems ;)

The guy who I had make mine is going to experiment with E39 brakes to see if it can be done without caliper mod.
                            If yours is the one with the threaded gizmo, that is some brilliant stuff.

I still say if someone built a new bottom yoke for the E28 housing everyone would do that over any other option...hell, make the lower mount adjustable for caster and camber, plus it would automatically be capable of big brakes!

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                            X