X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• etxxz
    replied
    Originally posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
    so...you tried the e36 m3 hardware and it wasn't to your satisfaction? thats curious as it works for countless others including myself without using any custom parts. You are obviously using wheels large enough to accommodate m3 hardware...so I don't get why you claim this machined part is easier than using OEM components

here's an irrelevant picture I took at DTM Munich
    even using the m3 hardware and offset bushing puts your wheel a little back on the arc.. but i don't rub anymore with 10mm spacers, even on my 235/45-17 rcomps.. ran 245/40's at one point too no prob. For looks, ok maybe. For performance :down: my car is fugly as hell. All go, no show.

Leave a comment:

• psyber_0ptix
    replied
    Originally posted by IanS_in_Oz View Post
    Only custom part was the control arm bushing. Nothing stock or aftermarket worked to my satisfaction, so I designed my own using 3D CAD. My aim was for a bolt-on solution.
    Got one set machined up, and they worked perfectly. Got UUC to machine up 10 more, of which I've sold 4.
    so...you tried the e36 m3 hardware and it wasn't to your satisfaction? thats curious as it works for countless others including myself without using any custom parts. You are obviously using wheels large enough to accommodate m3 hardware...so I don't get why you claim this machined part is easier than using OEM components

here's an irrelevant picture I took at DTM Munich
    Last edited by psyber_0ptix; 08-04-2011, 02:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IanS_in_Oz
    replied
    This is the car at a recent hillclimb:

Leave a comment:

• IanS_in_Oz
    replied
    Only custom part was the control arm bushing. Nothing stock or aftermarket worked to my satisfaction, so I designed my own using 3D CAD. My aim was for a bolt-on solution.
    Got one set machined up, and they worked perfectly. Got UUC to machine up 10 more, of which I've sold 4.

Leave a comment:

• psyber_0ptix
    replied
    Wow congrats; you earn a pat on the back! Are you using all stock and easily available non-custom parts to do it?

There are ways to do it using all stock components, thus easier for the rest of us that don't sit on top of a machine shop, and probably cheaper too. I guess the downside is the fact you will be running e36 M3 front brakes; but they still fit under 16" and it's plenty awesome.

In the end, I feel bad for Aptyp who put a ridiculous amount of effort into collecting data to put this topic to rest.

Leave a comment:

• IanS_in_Oz
    replied
    I have standard E36 non-M spindles.....no need for the M ones

Leave a comment:

• psyber_0ptix
    replied
    yea, its almost sickening. I want to pick up a couple sets 'just in case' in the years to come

Leave a comment:

• diegom6
    replied
    Cool. I just bought them at bimmerworld...what a bergain the price! :p

Leave a comment:

• psyber_0ptix
    replied
    as reiterated throughout this thread; one of the key components to use when doing any e36 5lug swap properly are the 96+ M3 arms with offset CAB of some variety, and the e36 M3 knuckle/spindle/radträger.

It should be fine once you install those parts from bimmerworld

Leave a comment:

• diegom6
    replied
    Hmmm....My wheel still seems more forward than yours does... And my car feels perfectly stable at all speeds.
    Do you have the e36 M spindles or the regular e36 ones?

Leave a comment:

• IanS_in_Oz
    replied
    Hmmm....My wheel still seems more forward than yours does... And my car feels perfectly stable at all speeds.

Leave a comment:

• diegom6
    replied
    Do you have the 98+ E36 control arms. There's about 5mm more in them as well...
    This is a pic of my wheel:
    Yes, I do have it. Check my previous posts, I listed my setup. I even did what I or nobody shouldn't do, bend alittle bit the controla rms to get more caster but it was a little bit. Still, my car doesn't feel like it should. I bet with stock 4lug setup with coilovers /cool shocks, should be more solid and handling better than my current setup.

I think this one was before modding the THR arm but I'm not positive. It's different angle.

Leave a comment:

• IanS_in_Oz
    replied
    Do you have the 98+ E36 control arms. There's about 5mm more in them as well...
    This is a pic of my wheel:

Leave a comment:

• diegom6
    replied
    They have Delrin bushings in them, and come with a spare set of bushings. Weight is less than 200g each, and they are machined from solid aluminium.
    They have been designed to ensure the pin is aligned perfectly in the bushing to ensure there is no binding.
    I have three sets available in the US, at a cost of $250 per set.

If you've machined and redrilled the the TRC one, it might nearly be there, these give about 10-12mm more than the std TRC ones, and the CA end sits right on the frame rail.
    Exactly! IIRC it was 10mm. I just ordered from bimmerwolrd the e36 m3 spindles. Hope those give me more caster.

Leave a comment:

• IanS_in_Oz
    replied
    Originally posted by etxxz View Post
    is there a bushing in the end? pics, price, leadtimes, weight, seems like aluminum too.

i might just go e46 control arms.
    They have Delrin bushings in them, and come with a spare set of bushings. Weight is less than 200g each, and they are machined from solid aluminium.
    They have been designed to ensure the pin is aligned perfectly in the bushing to ensure there is no binding.
    I have three sets available in the US, at a cost of $250 per set.

Originally posted by diegom6 View Post
    Not necesary. With my TRC control arm base mahcined to make it sit exactly next to the fram rail, I don't see how this one add more caster? Maybe 1mm more? IDK, but mine is sitting the closest you can go to the frame rail.

I would need the me3e36 spindle/kingpin instead I think?
    If you've machined and redrilled the the TRC one, it might nearly be there, these give about 10-12mm more than the std TRC ones, and the CA end sits right on the frame rail.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X