Would you do the swap? (and why?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you do the swap? (and why?)

I have the opportunity to start with a bone-stock 1990 325i 4dr in immaculate condition. While planning modifications, new wheels, etc., one decision I face is whether or not to do the 5-lug conversion.

The poll asks - would you do it in my position?

What is the point? Is the only advantage wheel options? I plan on doing the following suspension:

Shocks/Springs: H&R Sports/Koni Yellows
    Sways: Suspension Techniques Sway Bars with Reinforcement Kit
    Strut bar: IE Front Strut Brace
    Camber plates: Vorshlag e30 plates
    Other: Treehouse Racing Eyeball bushings, IE Subframe Bushings

Should I do it, and why?

-Evan
    I would, but you probably shouldn't bother.
    15.25%
    I wouldn't, and you shouldn't bother either.
    28.81%
    I would, and I think you should too.
    54.24%
    I wouldn't, but I think you should.
    1.69%
    1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold ::

I wouldn't. There are plenty of nice 4 lug wheels out there. It's not really like 5 lug is going to open up better tire/wheel fitment options up for you.
    There are also BBK's that you can purchase for 4 lug that will more than compensate for any kind of power upgrades you do.
    I thought it might be cool at one time, but have since changed my mind.
    Slicktop City!

Comment

I considered it before with a lack of affordable bbk, but not anymore.
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Im doing the 5 lug for the abundance of cheap, high quality oem wheels, that dont look rice

Comment

if you do a five lug the only wheels i would do it for are the BMW E46 M3 CSL wheels, they are so clean, but by the time you do the whole conversion and buy the wheels, you are putting in to much money
          sigpic C.3.C.

Comment

You never mentioned what you plan on using the car for.
            Is it going to be a track rat, or just a DD? If it's a daily driver, and you are only doing it for the rims, than I would say not to do it.
            If it's a track car, and you are doing it for the larger brakes, wheelbearings, and the wheel selection, then maybe.

-Erik

Comment

What about engine conversions and the like? could you swap in the halfsafts and diff of a M Z3 to better handle the power?
              '89 325i track sloot
              '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Originally posted by whiltebeitel View Post
                What about engine conversions and the like? could you swap in the halfsafts and diff of a M Z3 to better handle the power?
                Yes you could

Comment

But is it effective? That is what i'm asking. Mabye this question needs it's own thread...
                  '89 325i track sloot
                  '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

The 5-lug swap was mainly for better brakes and wheels. Now we can get brakes for 4-lug e30s that are just as good as a 5-lug set up. It seems that most people want to do the swap for the wheel selection. You can get dead sexy wheels for a 4-lug. I think that most people just don't know where to look.
                    Originally posted by cabriodster87
                    "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
                    Originally posted by Kershaw
                    i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
                      The 5-lug swap was mainly for better brakes and wheels. Now we can get brakes for 4-lug e30s that are just as good as a 5-lug set up. It seems that most people want to do the swap for the wheel selection. You can get dead sexy wheels for a 4-lug. I think that most people just don't know where to look.
                      Okay, I'll bite... so where do I look?

-Evan
                      1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold ::

Comment

Massive Lee on this site is a great source for BBK's.
                        "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."

Comment

I believe he was asking, where does he look for dead sexy 4 lug wheels.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                            I believe he was asking, where does he look for dead sexy 4 lug wheels.
                            Oh, well I forget. You will have to do a search. They ain't cheap though. Well, most are not cheap.

Comment

Mike, I did a search for dead sexy wheels and I didn't find any.

Originally posted by whysimon
                              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                              X