Ground Control Spring Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Control Spring Rates

Im about to order the whole GC kit for my car.. only thing left to decide on is the spring rates/sizes. At first I was thinking the normal 6" front with 5" rear springs at 400/550. I called GC and the guy I talked to said those rates were too soft.. he suggested something like 450/625 rates.. :shock:

What are you guys with GC kits running? Kepp in mind I have a 318is and the car is probably going to be driven to and from work a few days a week, but I do intend to do a few track days and auto-x's.
    James Peacock

WWFSMD?

how far is your work?

If you only drive the car a few times a week, i would do 450/625. Those are the rates that i have and the crappy ride is worth the handling

Comment

450f
      600r

Aaron
      -with an M42
      2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

450/625 sounds like a pretty conservative choice. Sounds like they've gotten a little more experienced in picking rates for our cars, they originally suggested 350/450 for me!

I recently switched to an H&R rear adjuster and a 2.5"ID 6" rear spring, I think it works better than the tiny 5" springs G-C uses.
        -Brandon
        '86 325es S50
        '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
        '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
        '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
        S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

You can choose to get 6" rear springs with GC as well.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

or 7, 8, and 9"
            BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by aaron_silva
              450f
              600r

Aaron
              -with an M42
              Hows the ride? What size springs? Your thoughts on the setup?

TIA
              James Peacock

WWFSMD?

Comment

I have a relatively pitiful 300/475, on a 325is. The ride can get choppy on bad pavement (roads suck ass up here), but for the most part it's pretty liveable. I've bitched about it publically in the past when I first got it, but you get used to it.

Comment

Definitely go for the 6" rear spring.

As far as spring rates, I'm pretty happy with my setup, 350f/475r. Its plenty stiff yet livable on a daily driver.

Thats weird that they recommend such high rates. They recommended 300/450 when I talked to them.
                  '91 318is
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
                    I have a relatively pitiful 300/475, on a 325is. The ride can get choppy on bad pavement (roads suck ass up here), but for the most part it's pretty liveable. I've bitched about it publically in the past when I first got it, but you get used to it.
                    Be careful with spring rates that low! Check your trailing arms! I live in Illinois, so the roads are not the best here either. I used to have a 450 lb/in spring that binded all the time because it was WAY too soft. It eventually broke the nubs off of both trailing arms where the spring perch sits. Replacing the trailing arms is not fun. :evil:

I'd suggest stepping it up to 600 lb/in in the rear (assuming you're using the 5" spring).
                    -Brandon
                    '86 325es S50
                    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by m42technic
                      450f
                      600r

Aaron
                      -with an M42
                      Hows the ride? What size springs? Your thoughts on the setup?

TIA
                      I love my ride. It is stiff but not unbearable for daily driving. I am using 6" springs. I would use the same setup if I had to do it over agian. I makes the car feel really solid.

Good luck. If you call Ground Control, Dale was a great guy to work with.

Aaron
                      2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

you should all verify with ground control the spring rates you have. don't assume what you asked for is what you got.

more then a few people have determined although they requested a certain spring rate, they got 300/475's. they eithor have a surplus of these, or they think they are better then you, and choose your rates for you without telling you.

as for the rear binding, i think that was an issue with the older springs they sold. the new rear springs are barrel springs w/ 2.5" diameter.

If you call Ground Control, Dale was a great guy to work with.
                        <start rant>
                        and as for Dale at ground control.. he can go suck my asshole. i ordered some parts last week, on tuesday, and he said i'd get it this time next week.. i asked for faster shipping to get it by the weekend, no problem ($4 more).... i didn't get it by the weekend. i called yesterday, they told me they had to wait for the parts to come in.. WHAT THE FUCK??? i paid for faster shipping to get it by the weekend, and the next week he tells me he didnt have the parts in stock?!??!??? and what's even better, is i called yesterday, and he was asking me what parts i wanted again.

and his cocky know it all attitude piss's me off too.

now i know why people on the SIG complain about the service at ground control.
                        <end rant>

Comment

Sorry for your poor experience. I am sure if you talked to any of their employees, the same thing would have happend.

The reason I liked to work with Dale is because I met him. We talked cars for a while and he helped me out getting all of the stuff I need (discounting stuff, throwing in free stuff, half off on some pieces...).

They dont seem to have the best organization there and I have heard numerous stories of orders being screwed up. My order wasnt screw out because I went there in person to pick everything up.

Good luck.

Aaron
                          2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

OT: Here is Dale ride.

Aaron
                            2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Sorry for your poor experience. I am sure if you talked to any of their employees, the same thing would have happend.

The reason I liked to work with Dale is because I met him. We talked cars for a while and he helped me out getting all of the stuff I need (discounting stuff, throwing in free stuff, half off on some pieces...).

They dont seem to have the best organization there and I have heard numerous stories of orders being screwed up. My order wasnt screw out because I went there in person to pick everything up.

Good luck.

Aaron
                              i have also heard ordering through bimmerworld is probably a better option then directly through ground control....

Comment

Working...
                              X