Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibration in steering wheel

Under braking only my steering wheel will begin to shake and almost have
    something of a faint knocking sound. I don't think that this is due to a warped
    rotor. I am going to take a shot at solving this.
    Would it be my control arm bushings?? I believe these are not too difficult to
    replace either. Could someone please shed some light on this. Thanks.
    - 318is 4 life

have your wheels recently been balanced? why dont you think its your rotors? if its not those two, it must be a bushing, i guess the CA
    BEERTECH

Comment

I dont see why having the wheels balanced would solve my problem under braking.
      Would warped rotors cause the steering wheel to vibrate hard? The reason im hoping its not the rotors is because I just had a brand new set in my garage and I just sold them :x
      - 318is 4 life

Comment

unbalanced wheels can have effects in many ways, not just highway cruising or whatever. the effects of unbalanced fronts could be exaggerated under braking. my e30 had all sorts of wierd wiggles and wobbles until i put a set of freshly balanced wheels on

"Would warped rotors cause the steering wheel to vibrate hard?"

yes
        BEERTECH

Comment

Sounds more like a rotor problem.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Yeah, that definetly sounds like rotors. I'm replacing mine this weekend. Hopefully my steering wheel shakes go away too.

Comment

I had the same problem even after replacing my rotors, turned out to be the ball joints.

Comment

sounds exactly same as me....mine was my control arm balljoints...very loose
                JUNGL3

1990 "333i" Sport

Comment

Well I had the same problem and I replaced my rotors and CAB's at the same time, so I am not sure which it was. But the problem is usually pad deposits left on the rotors, they usually aren't actually warped. If they have enough meat left, trying having them resurfaced.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I had the same problem on my old e30 and it turned out to be the control arms and bushings. I'm sure you can pretty easily check for play in any of the ball joints
                    '91 318is
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                      Well I had the same problem and I replaced my rotors and CAB's at the same time, so I am not sure which it was. But the problem is usually pad deposits left on the rotors, they usually aren't actually warped. If they have enough meat left, trying having them resurfaced.
                      haha. damn it, becaue it is a toss up right now for what I'm going to get. I think I'm just going to get them resurfaced(cheaper). Man I wish I still had access to my auto tech classes brake turning machine.
                      - 318is 4 life

Comment

Mine has ended up being almost entirely CAB related...with only very little of it being attributed to a slightly warp in the front rotors.
                        Trevor Ely
                        '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
                        '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

Is there a way to check to see if it is the CABs before I go order some? If not, they are not too pricey.
                          - 318is 4 life

Comment

the control arm bushings for sure. mine went, but never had any problems with the brakes. it's kind of a pain in the ass if you don't have a decent press.

Comment

Working...
                            X